• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

2000 To 2001 Differences

  • Thread starter Thread starter TonyV
  • Start date Start date Aug 9, 2017
T

TonyV

New Member
Jul 14, 2017
4
0
1
Aug 9, 2017
#1
  • Aug 9, 2017
  • #1
I've discovered quite a few, and maybe there is a thread with the specifics. Anyway, a question I have is about injectors. Are they the same from 2000 to 2001? There are some discrepancies in some of the parts listings I'm seeing.

Long story short, I'm putting what appears to be a 2000 spec engine in my 2001 Mustang. I've discovered a number of differences. I want to make sure that injectors is not one of the differences.

If people aren't aware or are curious, I can provide details of what I've discovered.

Thanks!

Tony
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Aug 9, 2017
#2
  • Aug 9, 2017
  • #2
The 1999-2000 GT came with a Windsor where as the 2001+ came with a Romeo SOHC 4.6. Some of the differences:
  • The number of bolt holes around the valve cover are different.
  • The number of crank bolt holes is different (6 vs 8)
  • The size of the bolt holes in the front timing cover is different.
  • the oil filter adapter is different
  • block is different.
  • how the cams are installed in the head is different
  • how the cam sprocket is attached is different (pressed vs bolted)
But all of the external mounting points are the same between the two versions. The external ports are the same. That is why it's possible to swap in either engine.

If you want to make the swap as straight forward as possible then keep as much electrical stuff from the original car as possible.
 
Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
T

TonyV

New Member
Jul 14, 2017
4
0
1
Aug 9, 2017
#3
  • Aug 9, 2017
  • #3
I'm glad you mentioned the valve covers. Hadn't noticed that. Here's what I have noticed, which is none of what you mentioned:

1. EGR pressure feedback sensor and EGR tube.
2. Alternator
3. Coil pack
4. IMRC on 2001
5. Quick disconnect fittings at heater core.

Biggest question: Can I fit the intake from the "Romeo" engine on the Winsor?

Thanks,

Tony
 
T

TonyV

New Member
Jul 14, 2017
4
0
1
Aug 9, 2017
#4
  • Aug 9, 2017
  • #4
Crap, I just realized that I failed to mention that I'm talking about the 3.8 v6.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
385
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
440
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
H
Hanging idle issues
  • HydraX
  • Mar 22, 2025
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
5
Views
668
SVT Tech Forum Aug 4, 2025
squeak93
F
2004 Mustang GT – Fuel Pump Not Priming
  • Fayio
  • Apr 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
435
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 27, 2026
n0v8or
N
B
2001 roush stage 3 - sat for 5 years
  • Brando_05
  • Aug 26, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
287
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 26, 2025
Brando_05
B
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?