2001 Mustang Bullitt Help

bullitt1939

Jul 18, 2009
I have a 2001 Mustang Bullitt with right under 100k miles and I am trying to figure out if the engine is seized up. My husband thought it was the starter so we changed it, but still the same issue. When you turn the key, the motor turns for a second or two then the whole engine jumps like it is locked up. Prior to this we thought it might be a battery issue not getting enough juice to fire. It now has a brand new battery and starter at this point. Any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on above. If it locks up, don't force it.

Also pull the spark plugs and inspect. What you are looking for is coolant which would mean a failed intake manifold gasket. Start with #1 and #5.

Also pull the spark plugs and inspect. What you are looking for is coolant which would mean a failed intake manifold gasket. Start with #1 and #5.
I will have to try this tomorrow. I did go ahead and try to turn it over by hand and I can go about a 1/4 turn then same as if I were to turn it over with the key. The key will make the whole engine jump.

I will have to try this tomorrow. I did go ahead and try to turn it over by hand and I can go about a 1/4 turn then same as if I were to turn it over with the key. The key will make the whole engine jump.

Ok so this makes no sense at all it locked up everytime going clockwise but spins freely going counterclockwise. I spun counter a good while and it spends freely both directions now. I spun it over and it turns over fine now just won't crank. I am pretty sure fuel rail pressure sensor is shot as it is reading 90 psi. I am getting some rpms spinning so that should rule out cps. Could a faulty frps cause a no start?

I am pretty sure fuel rail pressure sensor is shot as it is reading 90 psi. I am getting some rpms spinning so that should rule out cps. Could a faulty frps cause a no start?
Yes. A bad FRPS can cause a no start on a return-less fuel system.

An easy test for is to remove the intake vacuum reference line and inspect for raw gas. IF found replace the FRPS.

Just wondering about mods to this Mustang. Stock fuel pump?

Does this car have a fuel rail Schrader valve? If the FRPS isn't ruptured then try releasing all fuel pressure and then starting from zero fuel pressure.

Will the motor "hit" on a small amount of starter fluid? Note be very careful using starter fluid on a modern car. Don't use alot!!

Ok so this makes no sense at all it locked up everytime going clockwise but spins freely going counterclockwise. I spun counter a good while and it spends freely both directions now. I spun it over and it turns over fine now just won't crank.
Just wondering. Did you pull the spark plugs to find out WHAT was in the cylinders? Remember it could be fuel or coolant.

If looking for way turning the motor backwards can clear up a hydro-lock, consider that turning backwards would create a vacuum inside the cylinder. This would make any gas boil off.

Have you inspected the oil for evidence of gas?

Note, it can be risky to turn a motor over backwards. For an automatic the torque converter pump can become un-seated. Also the cams and timing chain tensioners are designed to run in one direction. This creates additional slack that could allow the chain to skip timing. Risky. Better to limit the amount of backwards turning to say 1/4 crank turn.

Yes. A bad FRPS can cause a no start on a return-less fuel system.

An easy test for is to remove the intake vacuum reference line and inspect for raw gas. IF found replace the FRPS.

Just wondering about mods to this Mustang. Stock fuel pump?

Does this car have a fuel rail Schrader valve? If the FRPS isn't ruptured then try releasing all fuel pressure and then starting from zero fuel pressure.

Will the motor "hit" on a small amount of starter fluid? Note be very careful using starter fluid on a modern car. Don't use alot!!

Just wondering. Did you pull the spark plugs to find out WHAT was in the cylinders? Remember it could be fuel or coolant.

If looking for way turning the motor backwards can clear up a hydro-lock, consider that turning backwards would create a vacuum inside the cylinder. This would make any gas boil off.

Have you inspected the oil for evidence of gas?

Note, it can be risky to turn a motor over backwards. For an automatic the torque converter pump can become un-seated. Also the cams and timing chain tensioners are designed to run in one direction. This creates additional slack that could allow the chain to skip timing. Risky. Better to limit the amount of backwards turning to say 1/4 crank turn.
The car is for the most part stock. We changed the fuel pump a few years back. There is no gas in the vaccum line of sensor but I am almost certain it is bad. I have had a few go bad before but not on this car that I remember. This one would eat tps sensors often. I do believe this on had a Schrader value just have to find my manual gauge. I have not tried any starting fluid. I did not pull the plugs because I didn't have a can of air to blow off the top. My compressor won't reach where the car is. The oil looks fine. The car said inside a storage building maybe a month or two then all this happened. It does have a five speed transmission.