2001 mustang gt cluster/ interior light issue.

Zaner

Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
2001 mustang GT. Driving down the street one evening a couple weeks ago and my dash lights and my gear select lights turned off. Assuming it was a fuse I waited till the next morning and went through the fuse box under the dash to find out the cluster fuse was blown. I replaced it with a new fuse and at the same time I changed out the pull style headlight switch. Still my dash lights and shift indicator lights will not work. I have checked every fuse under the dash I have checked every fuse under the hood. Any suggestion on how to proceed? Thank you for your time

• Sponsors (?)

Yes sir I tried rotating the knob after replacing the fuse with the old headlight switch. And after I installed a new one I tried to rotating the headlight switch to different positions trying to get the lights to light up. I've actually gone through the fuse boxes under the hood and on the inside of the car multiple times I also just replaced all the fuses even though I didn't see any of them blown just for solidarity. I don't get is holding me back everything seems to be in order. I thought it might have just been the cluster itself might have burnt up but that can't be the case because I also lost my lights in my gear select cluster and all that

When my dash lights quit working initially I visited a website and they said often it's a fuse. So I put in a new fuse and it still didn't fix the problem. I read further on the website that if it's not the fuse then it's likely your headlight switch. So I bought a new headlight switch and installed it. Still no fix to my issue I continued to look through the fuse boxes and make sure all my fuses are good which they are. I find it hard to believe that I have two bad headlight switches in a row. I guess it's possible

When my dash lights quit working initially I visited a website and they said often it's a fuse. So I put in a new fuse and it still didn't fix the problem. I read further on the website that if it's not the fuse then it's likely your headlight switch. So I bought a new headlight switch and installed it. Still no fix to my issue I continued to look through the fuse boxes and make sure all my fuses are good which they are. I find it hard to believe that I have two bad headlight switches in a row. I guess it's possible
Ok. That clears it up. I thought you replaced the switch then had the issue.

The only thing you can do now is a continuity check. If the fuse was blown something caused it. If it's holding up now then it's a break somewhere

Recommend also checking the cluster ground. With the cluster removed test the black wires and the black wires with a white stripe for a good ground path. Use a test light that will "load" the circuit.

If you find a bad cluster ground then suspect a bad grounding point behind the center console. However I do not recommend attempting to repair the center console ground until you have confirmed via testing that it's actually bad.

Do you have a VOM meter? This could also be used to verify that there is voltage leaving the head light switch.

Reactions: 1 user