2002 GT Auto Vert Borla Question

cw5billwade

Nov 24, 2008
Short version Borla Pro XS pair $200 shipped or CAT Back for over $700 why not just weld in the mufflers to current pipes? Do I need 2.25” or 2.5” offset-offset mufflers? What would I lose?

Long version if you care
My mods in signature. Looking for most bolt on power and fuel economy for my 2002 Auto GT Vert DD. I do not go to the track or intend to. I do a lot of interstate driving between 1850 RMP and 2500 RPM so don’t want the drone. For my exhaust I was going to go with Borla. Their Cat Back is pricy and if you look at the install instructions they are actually 2.25 inch from mid pipe to muffler. I called Borla tech support to verify and they confirmed that this was to bolt to the stock mid pipe and also helped to produce their unique tone. If that is the case than what do you think about just having the Borla Pro XS welded into my stock pipes and call it a day. I would save $500. What would I lose other than the pretty Borla tips?

5.0 Magazine tested 16 mufflers in 2002 on a fox body 5.0. All they did was to bolt on 16 different mufflers and dyno them. Borla was within 1 HP and 1 ft-lb tq of the leaders and was the quietest of all 16 at 2000RPM.

Power
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq (stringers)
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):
1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).[/font]

• Sponsors (?)

cw25billwade:

Stock exhaust piping is 2.25" dia. You can use 2.25" x 2.5" adapters if you are handy at welding and this will allow you use 2.5" connection mufflers (easier to find now and easier to sell later). Just a thought!

Chris

the stock exhaust is crap compared to the mandrel bent pipes from the aftermarket companies. also, aftermarket pipes are usually stainless steel. the stock pipes will rust. but $700 for the Borla kit is a rip off. you could buy a Magnaflow kit and swap the Borla mufflers for less than that. Borla has always been overpriced.

the stock exhaust is crap compared to the mandrel bent pipes from the aftermarket companies. also, aftermarket pipes are usually stainless steel. the stock pipes will rust. but $700 for the Borla kit is a rip off. you could buy a Magnaflow kit and swap the Borla mufflers for less than that. Borla has always been overpriced.

I'd just keep the magnaflows, borlas are too bowtieish to me:rlaugh: This comming from a guy with SLP exhaust:D.
But seriously that IS overpriced, his idea is a good one:nice:

cw5billwade:

I figured out the video feature on the camera today, lol. I'll get a video or two made tomorrow at 60 and 70 mph (entering and "in" the zone) from inside the car. I don't think it is too bad in the car (I'm fairly old and intolerant of drone). The microphone on the camera is not super-duper but it should get the flavor across.

Merry Xmas,

Chris

I listened to vids and do like the magnaflow sound but some say they have some drone at 2000K. Can someoneout there with Magnaflows weigh in about the drone?

i haven't heard an aftermarket exhaust yet that doesn't drone to some extent but the Magnaflows are known for having one of the least amounts of drone. i don't think it's an issue personally.

I'd just keep the magnaflows, borlas are too bowtieish to me:rlaugh: This comming from a guy with SLP exhaust:D.
But seriously that IS overpriced, his idea is a good one:nice:

Thanks what I really want to know since I don't go to the track and this is my DD will I get simular gains by just welding 2.25" in stock tubes vise purchasing an entire Cat-back? What loss would I see Flow wise or HP?

Thanks what I really want to know since I don't go to the track and this is my DD will I get simular gains by just welding 2.25" in stock tubes vise purchasing an entire Cat-back? What loss would I see Flow wise or HP?