2002 GT, How much oil with filter change??

Wikkdgt

Jul 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I just got my wife a 2002 GT and there is no owners manual in it. I am getting ready to change the oil, but am not sure if it takes the same amount as my 2000. I know it takes 5w20 but can anyone with a 2002 GT go and look into there owners manual and let me know? Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

Drain the oil, change the filter, then put 5 in and start it up. Let it runs for 30 or 45 seconds, then shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes. Check the dipstick and put in what you need to get to the full mark.

• Neat
Reactions: 1 user
If Ford says 5-20 than 5-20 should be ok. I switched my 2003 GT to Mobil1 0-30 a while back because most of the people on this forum said that the only reason Ford switched to 5-20 was to help with fuel economy, and that 5-30 would offer slightly better protection. Im using 0-30 because it is the only Mobil1 visc. that meets or exceeds Fords standards. I figure if they ever try and give me any crap about using this oil instead of there oil I can always throw that in there face. I know some people say that you should use the 5-20 because of the tight tolerances in the Mod Motor, but 5-30 used to be the norm in these motors and I am unaware of the tolerences getting tighter since this was the case.

Exactly, even though the manual says i should use 5w-20, i used 5w-30 in my '03 GT. FOrd only went to the 20 weight because they got something like 0.25MPG better fuel economy. They didn't change any tolerances in the engine so i'll stick with the old oil weight.

BTW, my manual says 6 quarts of oil with a filter change.

I've heard there was an oil pan change somwehere that changed the oil capacity from 5 to 6 quarts.

I use 10w30 Havolin in my 86 GT and in my 02 Saleen I run 5w30 Royal Purple and I am considering switching over to Amsoil. Both see an oil change ever 2000 miles. Anyone wanna chime in Amsoil over Royal Purple?

The exact "fill" line on the stick at 72 degrees and 60% humidity on my '02 would be about 5.76776 quarts using the "20 drops" method of filling 5W-30 (with a Mobil1 filter).

In other words and as most have stated 6 quarts.

AdRock said:
Drain the oil, change the filter, then put 5 in and start it up. Let it runs for 30 or 45 seconds, then shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes. Check the dipstick and put in what you need to get to the full mark.

Good advice, except it might be better to fill it to halfway between the full mark and the empty mark (the sweet spot).

:cheers: