2002 GT Short block swap to a cobra 99.

mpks92

Dec 26, 2018
California
Hello everyone, I was looking for some answers and was hoping to find them here. I have a 2002 GT with over 150,000 miles on my engine. I want to get a forged bottom end without spending a ton of cash. So I have narrowed it down {I think}, to swapping the bottom end of a much less used 99 Cobra. I plan to use the standard 2 valve heads with possible stage 2 cams. My question is will this 99 cobra short block mount directly with all my stock setup. I do hope to supercharge it someday thus, the reason I want to go forged bottom end. But for now I will have to settle with 75mm throttle body that I currently am using. thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a "trusted" machine shop? This may prove the difference between success or failure. Why? Because even IF the parts will interchange, HOW would you know if the measurements are within tolerances?

When I rebuilt the GM 3.5 I had a machine shop clean and measure all of the parts. That way I knew before assembly that all bearing sizes were within "standard" sizes. In that way I could do the labor to assemble with a reasonable expectation it would run when put together (it did). IMO the services of the machine shop were invaluable.

The only thing forged on that Cobra block(if stock) is the crank. The stock rods suck, a forged bottom end includes forged rods and usually forged pistons to take the boost/RPM's.