2002 Mustang GT 5spd 5 gear dud gear

trlps_

Feb 25, 2020
Houston
Hello, so I noticed while driving the other day that my 5th gear is almost a dead gear. I found a pretty long stretch of road to test and see how she does, went well up until going into 5th and it pretty much did or does nothing at all. RPMS stay at a consistent 3,000 while in 5th no matter the speed im going or was and will slowly go up with more throttle but does not sound or feel healthy at all. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

5th gear is overdrive. It’s not meant to be an acceleration gear. It’s for fuel economy. Hit 70mph, throw it in 5th and cruise. If you need to pass someone, drop it to 4th.

Your bogging it in 5th due to too much engine load. Downshift if you want to accelerate.

5th gear is overdrive. It’s not meant to be an acceleration gear. It’s for fuel economy. Hit 70mph, throw it in 5th and cruise. If you need to pass someone, drop it to 4th.

Your bogging it in 5th due to too much engine load. Downshift if you want to accelerate.
only problem im having though is the check engine light gets thrown on and will blink on for a while, throw it back into 4th and check engine light stops blinking, it could be me just overthinking everything issues but would that be normal? makes me not want to drive in 5th

That would have been worth mentioning in the initial post. That’s not normal. You might have a misfire under load. You’ll want to plug a code reader in and see if there is a stored code.

That would have been worth mentioning in the initial post. That’s not normal. You might have a misfire under load. You’ll want to plug a code reader in and see if there is a stored code.
yeah I know, didn't notice that until driving home this morning getting off of work, ill look when i get off and see what codes are coming up