2003 GT- Rich Fuel...Why?

Tpoltz

Jul 19, 2018
Ga
I had a clutch job gone wrong and ended up having to pull the engine and transmission as a unit. After re-installation, the car runs pretty well but has a slightly rough idle, a bit of coughing at low rpm starts, and a dash light for rich fuel. I've checked and double checked for anything unplugged or broken and cant see any problems. Any ideas on what could cause the rich fuel mix? I assume I must have made some error in the engine re-installation but I have triple checked on top and under the car and can't see any issues. Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

Please post the full DTC codes. There are 1,000's and the each have a story to tell.

Did you remember to re-connect the grounding strap between the left hand motor mount and frame rail.

As for what "could" cause a rich condition:
  • An exhaust leak.
  • A disconnected or leaking fuel rail pressure sensor intake vacuum reference line.
  • a dirty or damaged MAF
  • A bad FRPS.
  • A shorted signal return line from any fuel injector.
If asked for a handicap my vote is the motor grounding strap or the FRPS intake vacuum reference line. Anything else is really guessing. Trouble shoot based upon symptom following good trouble shooting basics.

Please post the full DTC codes. There are 1,000's and the each have a story to tell.

Did you remember to re-connect the grounding strap between the left hand motor mount and frame rail.

As for what "could" cause a rich condition:
  • An exhaust leak.
  • A disconnected or leaking fuel rail pressure sensor intake vacuum reference line.
  • a dirty or damaged MAF
  • A bad FRPS.
  • A shorted signal return line from any fuel injector.
If asked for a handicap my vote is the motor grounding strap or the FRPS intake vacuum reference line. Anything else is really guessing. Trouble shoot based upon symptom following good trouble shooting basics.
I believe it was code P0175 or P0172, The ground cable was on and tight; I just removed it and wire brushed the ends as well as the nut/screw that holds it in place and re-installed it. I replaced the Mass Air flow sensor after the re-installation of the engine (about 100 miles ago) and that hasn't accomplished much. I did have a hose come off of the DPFE sensor and I did have a minor improvement after reinstalling the hose but the light came back on after a few miles of driving. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Note that the list of things that could "cause" a rich condition is relatively short.

P0172 - System to Rich (Bank 1)

P0175 - System to Rich (Bank 2)

Air Measurement System
  • MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, corroded connector, etc.).
Fuel System
  • Fuel pressure regulator (vacuum hose off, diaphragm leak, malfunctioning, etc.).
  • Leaking fuel injectors.
  • Fuel return line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
  • EVAP canister purge valve leak (when canister is full).
Base engine
  • Engine oil contamination

Note that the list of things that could "cause" a rich condition is relatively short.

P0172 - System to Rich (Bank 1)

P0175 - System to Rich (Bank 2)

Air Measurement System
  • MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, corroded connector, etc.).
Fuel System
  • Fuel pressure regulator (vacuum hose off, diaphragm leak, malfunctioning, etc.).
  • Leaking fuel injectors.
  • Fuel return line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
  • EVAP canister purge valve leak (when canister is full).
Base engine
  • Engine oil contamination
Thanks again for all of the Help! I will take another look at the fuel rail pressure sensor. I am pretty confident there are no issues with the injectors because the engine ran perfectly before we pulled it. I am pretty sure I replaced the EVAP purge valve as well about a year ago due to some emissions problems. I did have to remove the high pressure fuel line to the engine; is there any kind of special sequence during re-installation of the line to reduce air pockets or anything like that?