2004 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gts vs. 68 mustang coupe

monkeyman08880 said:
I have a 1968 mustang coupe with a 289 v8 automatic thats running around 290 hp. I have the edelbrock performer package (matching heads, high rise intake, 600 carb, and cam), thorley tri-y headers and a flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust. My buddy has a 2004 mitsubishi eclipse spyder and he thinks he could take me. Were getting ready to race and i wanna know if you think i can beat him (probably around a 1/4-1/2 mile).

If you have deep gears and his car is not a turbo, then you'll likely get him on torque even though he'll probably get you out of the hole and top speed. If you have stock gearing or he is not normally aspirated, watch out. Also keep in mind that the Mitsu is a cammer so it'll run up faster than your car, but they are still not as torquey. Is your car dropped? The Mitsu is low and handles better. Yeah, don't do this on the street. A track is safer. He has better suspension and brakes. Sounds like fun; I run up against these things every day. They eventually catch up but they are not as cool as a classic Mustang. Maybe the thing to do is for both of you take a ride in each car with a stop watch.

• Sponsors (?)