2004 Mustang GT exhaust without drone?

Hello all,

To make a long story short, my 90 GT convertible was totalled in Sept. I did not intend to buy another car until late winter or early spring, but the right car at the right price presented itself and I now have an 04 GT coupe.

On my 90 I had a magnaflow catted H with Flowmaster american thunder cat back system. It wasn't too loud, but the drone was a bit much when I had my family with me on longer rides.

I would like to swap the exhaust, preferable just cat back on my new one with something that is louder than stock, but not too loud. I also would rather not have all the drone the flowmasters gave me on the other car.

I have searched the forums and come up with the possibility of Dynomax or "regular" Magnaflow systems.

The car is not a daily driver per se, but I do want to be able to use it whenever I feel like it, including long trips with the wife and 2 kiddies.

Thanks for reading this and in advance for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

:stupid:I also too would like to know of a good flowing/sounding exhaust without drone.

I know this has been talked about A LOT and I have researched a lot. Like those crossover welded in pipes over at (Corral.net?), and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, etc.

I was just wondering if there was a sure fire set-up without da' drone(drives me nuts:ack:, and would be especially bad on my long 5+ hour trips)

Cheers,

I have:

MAC Longtubes
Lethal Performance catted X pipe for MAC longtubes
Pypes catback..

It doesn't "drone" so much as you get that steady resonance "waaahh wahhh" left-to-right sound, but you can still hear the rumble of the exhaust..

The sound of the whole system though is fantastic..

Riley

The flows sound good, no dought, but the drone will destroy brain cells.
I switched from flows to regular strait thru Magnaflows and the drone is
gone. The Magnaflows sound deeper and a little louder than stock
mufflers. What really sux about the Flowmaster drone is that it happens
at highway cruising speeds...... You have to drive at 60mph or 85 mph
to avoid it.

Any straight-through designed system will minimize drone. It's the chambered setups that cause excessive drone.

magnaflow_mufflers.jpg

Check out our sister site, Planet MagnaFlow for some other ideas. :nice:

The 4.6L 2V in my 81 notch....:eek:

Stock manifolds

BBK off road H pipe

MAC Catback with 3-1/2" tips....OMG I can't hear myself think! That is the loudest exhaust I have ever heard.....very very annoying drone. :(