2005 Convertible

2002GT2

Oct 25, 2004
Hi all,

I haven't had a test drive yet because I can't find any. :) Could some of you describe the exhaust/engine noise at highway speeds?

While the drone of a V8 would be quite pleasant on my morning commute to work...during a trip out of state this could get old real fast. I do quite a bit of traveling between NC and SC and NC and Pa.

I have never owned a convertible (but want to). Previous cars were all trucks. Currently have a 2002 Maxima which is whisper quiet (I don't expect that from a Mustang). Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a convertible 05 and at about 70MPH in 5th gear I think that road noise is probably louder than the engine. I am only turning about 2100RPM on the tach at 70MPH and at that level the tires on the pavement make more noise than the engine/exhaust........ The interior is only a little bit louder than the coupe.

With the top down, it would be difficult to even hear the engine at highway speeds due to wind noise. Of course I usually have the Shaker up high enough that that is all I hear.......

If it is really important to you test drive a V6 or rent one from Hertz. The sound difference should be identical to the GT between vert and coupe.

2002GT2 said:
Hi all,

I haven't had a test drive yet because I can't find any. :) Could some of you describe the exhaust/engine noise at highway speeds?

While the drone of a V8 would be quite pleasant on my morning commute to work...during a trip out of state this could get old real fast. I do quite a bit of traveling between NC and SC and NC and Pa.

I have never owned a convertible (but want to). Previous cars were all trucks. Currently have a 2002 Maxima which is whisper quiet (I don't expect that from a Mustang). Thanks!

The wind noise is moderately loud at higher speeds (55+ mph). I've been in verts that are worse and some that are better. If you're looking for a quiet ride, this isn't your car.

If you're looking for a quiet ride no vert above 60 mph is a good buy.

BTW blue oval, the silver vert is perfect color. I pulled up next to one like yours last week--wow--in person it's a very nice combo--silver w/ contrasting black top.

topless beach said:
If you're looking for a quiet ride no vert above 60 mph is a good buy.

BTW blue oval, the silver vert is perfect color. I pulled up next to one like yours last week--wow--in person it's a very nice combo--silver w/ contrasting black top.

Thank you topless. I've received a lot of positive feedback on the color combo! It looks even better after 3 coats of Zaino! :D

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully will be able to test drive one soon.

I'm more concerned with the engine/exhaust drone than wind noise. I had a 91 Explorer that I removed the resonator and put a 96+ type exhaust on. After a 4 hour trip to the beach, the drone was unbearable.

I own a 2002 Maxima with moonroof and often drive around in the summer with all windows and moonroof open. Wind noise is not as big a problem to me as the engine/exhaust drone.

Keep em coming!!!

JHO2theIZZO said:
No complaints about noise here.

Yup I agree. Plus I have the music on and no noise bothers me. Although you gotta watch out... I tend to relax so much I was doing over 100 not knowing. It's impossible to drive slow in this car .. :D