Roush 2005 S281SC or 05 Roush Mustang Stage 3

I am in the market for purchasing a retirement car. And I have had my eye on the Roush Stage 3 ever since my brother purchased his 1999 Roush Stage 2 But, after doing some research, it appears that you get more for less by going with the Saleen. I personally like the look of the Saleen, especially with the 20" wheels! I would appreciate any suggestions that will aid in my decsion.

• Sponsors (?)

What do you want to do to use your retirement vehicle for? Are you just looking for something cool and (more) unique to cruise in? Are you content with the projected performance of the car or are you the type who likes to tinker with the mechanicals?

I don’t know what the Roush will have to offer in the way of engine, suspension, drivetrain, etc. enhancements but I just cannot get past the ’05 bodywork. The ‘99+ body style was o.k. but the ’05 design looks hideous to me from almost any angle. I don’t want to come off sounding harsh and I do have respect for Roush’s engineering capabilities but I feel they really missed the opportunity to improve on the aesthetics of the new Mustang.

I am not fond of the ‘05 Mustang body style in general. The retro-trend design looks forced and clumsy to me. I think Saleen has done the best job so far at homogenizing the exterior shape. Though the rear end does not thrill me, it is a vast improvement over the stock design. The Saleen interior appointments are nice. I really like the proportions of those huge 20s but the wheel design is too conservative for my tastes. I would replace them in favor of some aftermarket “light weight” dubs.

Bottom line is no amount of horsepower and handling tweaks will sway me to buy a ’05 Roush. Between the two, I would definitely get the Saleen but I am personally waiting a while to see what the new Cobra will have to offer. I went turn-key and bought a Saleen last time but I may be in the position to build up a car next time.

As soon as either of the local dealers get a new S281-SC in, I’m going for a test drive. :D

Head Paneer said:
What do you want to do to use your retirement vehicle for? Are you just looking for something cool and (more) unique to cruise in?

I want both actually. I have always settled for the less costly of any vehicle variation that I have purchased, therefore the next one will be with all the bells and whistles.

Are you content with the projected performance of the car or are you the type who likes to tinker with the mechanicals?

I am in no way the type to tinker with mechanics, but that is always something that I have considered. My first car was a 1988 Mustang GT (sold in a moment of weakness after owning it for 10 years) and all I ever did to it was put a K&N air filter in it. But being older and wiser I will definitely become more intimate with the mechanics of my "LAST" car.

Thanks

Did Jack change the spelling of his last name? I thought it was Roush. My vote would be to save your money, go out and buy a new GT. Purchase the wheels of your choice not those 20" Chrysler Crossfire wheels, drop in that new Ford Racing cammer crate motor and buy some coilovers.
That is my plan.