2007 GT Running rough with CAI, expertise needed

knee_draggerR1

Feb 2, 2012
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and am looking for some advise from those that have more know how than myself. I have a 2007 GT 5 speed that has been giving me issues with a CAI.
I put headers on my car about 6 months ago and bought a tuner from Brenspeed in order to get it running right. Everything was fine for about 7,000 miles and then my car threw a code. It was for drivers side O2 sensor slow response, so I ordered a revision as well as a JLT CAI to finish out my basic mods. After installing the CAI and uploading the new tune, my car ran like complete garbage. It would not idle, surged several hundred RPMs at any given throttle position and even died in gear going down the road around 70 and would not jump itself off. Durring all this rough operation the car would smell completely flooded out was almost nauseating with the smell of fuel. I had the throttle bodies cleaned with 0 improvement. Putting the stock intake and header only tune would fix it every time, but eventually the light would come back on.

After sending datalogging to the tuner, they determined the O2 sensors were not coming on at all, so I replaced all O2 sensors as well as the extension harnesses just to be safe because they said it could be a problem with the resistance of the wires. I put the CAI and tune back on and the car will actually fire up and idle now, but if driven within the first minute or so of each start up will choke out and die. But after this initial minute or so runs pretty well. However the car still smells soaked in fuel. Bad enough someone in the parking on base asked me if my car was leaking gas. Also my gas mileage has been cut in half. Literally 12 MPG or so with normal driving, and the rpms still jump around at constant throttle position.... The tuner says nothing in a tune can effect any of that, but the second the CAI is taken off, the stock intake put back on, and tune put back to the header tune the car runs like a champ. Great MPG, no extreme gas smell, just the exhaust that is normal with no cats, and no surges in rpm. I put the stock intake back on and header tune and no issues at all. No more code, just a good running car.

So my question is what in the world can cause this? Why would a CAI cause a car to run so rich and so poorly with what a very reputable tuner says is a good tune? But without the CAI, the car runs like a champ. I have even had my neighbor do the install just in-case I'm too stupid for two hose clamps and a MAF sensor. Any input is greatly appreciated in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds pretty cut & dry there's a problem with your MAF and/or aftermarket tune.

Try this, with the aftermarket tune & CAI installed disconnect the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. After that start the car with the MAF sensor disconnected. How does the car idle now? Does it still smell really rich? Note your throttle response will be crappy with the MAF sensor disconnected so just test it at idle. If it runs better you have found the problem, which it sounds like you already suspect.