2010 GT Convertible Vs 2011 GT Convertible

TonyJ

Sep 21, 2010
Hello All,
Im new to this forum. Last owned a GT back in 87.
I currently struck a deal with the wife, if I sell 2 of my custom bikes, I can buy a Mustang Convertible. We have 2 young children and 3 bikes just makes no sense and get very limited use.

So last night Im talking to her about my "computer built" 5.0 and she says she never said a new Mustang. Obviously I would like the new 11 5.0, but was unsure how it stacks against the same car NEW just a 2010.

For those of you who have drove both, or owned both. How much better is the 5.0 and 6 speed than the 4.6 with the 5speed? Would seem to be about a 8K difference between the both while dealers are clearing out the 2010s

Car will be used for weekends and enjoyment driving. I am a gearhead and love the biggest and best, but this will have to be a compromise of sorts. (Last GT I modified until it wasnt street freindly)

Are the 2010's great? Do they pull hard? Are the 2011 having some problems?

What are your recomendations?

Thanks one and all. Hopefully withing the next 2 months my bikes will be gone and Ill have a convertible in the garage!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

DougNut must not have read the part where you said you like the biggest & best. It is obviously a matter of choice between the two but I would think you would just go for the 2011. There are tunes and such already out for the 5.0 and you would have to spend a few grand to make a 4.6 run as good as a 5.0! I have an 05 which runs pretty good but still only about as god as the 2011 V6.
If I were you I would drive them both before you pull the trigger, then enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought my '07 convertible for weekend and nice weather driving with my wife and two kids. For any type of driving I would do with my family in the car, this set up (V8 manual 3.55 gears) is plenty. If you planned on going to the track on weekends, the 5.0 and a stiffer body of a coupe would make sense. If you're just cruising the majority of the time, I would get a deal on a 2010. Save the money and preserve domestic harmony.

I just went through the same decision process and got the 2010. I got wayyy more bang for the buck and the little in differance between the 5.0 six speed and 4.6 five speed in performance doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Either out performs stock Chevy and MOPARs.

BTW, ain't nothin' like cruzzin with the top dropped on a nice day. The car turns heads...

I just went through the same decision process and got the 2010. I got wayyy more bang for the buck and the little in differance between the 5.0 six speed and 4.6 five speed in performance doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Either out performs stock Chevy and MOPARs.

BTW, ain't nothin' like cruzzin with the top dropped on a nice day. The car turns heads...

I can"t believe what I just read,and I read it like 5 times,the difference between the 2 model years is like night and day.

I can"t believe what I just read,and I read it like 5 times,the difference between the 2 model years is like night and day.

Asthetically, other than the GT/5.0 badge they are the same. Other than Drive train there isn't a whole lot of differences, there's some underbody stuff to help with aerodynamics, but sitting inside of them there isn't a whole lot you can immediately see that is different.
Now when it comes to the motor, yes, the 5.0 is way more powerful, but honestly, 99% of everyone's driving is done in normal traffic and the power differences just won't really mean much.
My 450HP Trans Am will smoke the 5.0 if I took it to the strip, but how many people really drag race in stock cars?

I say you should buy what you finacially find feasible. For me, getting almost $8K off sticker was more financially sound than paying sticker for the 11.

I also went through the same decision process and I also went with the 2010. I got a GT Premium with track pack security and comfort packages (whatever the hell they are) for 4k under invoice or less then a base 2011 with no options, plus 1.9% and the dealership ate the last 3 lease payments on my wife's Milan. It depends on what you are looking for. My thinking was I'm on "old man"of 44, my street racing career has been over about 10 years, I have to live with the car everyday since my wife now drives my Escape so I went for the better equipped car which in my opinion was the better value. Now if I had to make the same decision 10 or 15 years ago the it would have been the 2011 all the way, so like I said its depends on what you want.
I have to say I am really happy with my purchase this car is much faster then I thought it would be , handles great,looks great. The only thing I have to do know is think of a new screen name.

Read the Car & Driver or any other car magazine that took the new horse for a ride, they all say the suspension is much better in the 11 and it easily beats cars in it's class. If I bought a 2010 GT and a 2011 V6 (that looks the same to average Joe) beat me out of a light I would be PISSED!

Thanks for the advice. Im still on the fence but leaning towards the 2010 to save the money. Im looking at a black convert with the red interior, with the nav package and heated seats, and the 19inch wheels.
If I can get the dealer to go for 31K plus any rebates, I might have to go that route.

I also went through the same decision process and I also went with the 2010. I got a GT Premium with track pack security and comfort packages (whatever the hell they are) for 4k under invoice or less then a base 2011 with no options, plus 1.9% and the dealership ate the last 3 lease payments on my wife's Milan. It depends on what you are looking for. My thinking was I'm on "old man"of 44, my street racing career has been over about 10 years, I have to live with the car everyday since my wife now drives my Escape so I went for the better equipped car which in my opinion was the better value. Now if I had to make the same decision 10 or 15 years ago the it would have been the 2011 all the way, so like I said its depends on what you want.
I have to say I am really happy with my purchase this car is much faster then I thought it would be , handles great,looks great. The only thing I have to do know is think of a new screen name.

Old is when your like me 64,I have a 2011 5.0 GT and I still love the $hit out of a little stop light fun with a Vette,it still makes my gray hair stand up.

My Base 2011 GT was a bit over $30k. When I was buying it the sales guy asked if I was interested if I was interested in a 2010 that was less money. I said no because I really wanted a 2011. However the 2010 he spoke of was a Premium Vert with a sticker price over $42k. So if you are at all indifferent you should snag a 2010. They even have 0% for 60 months.

If increasing HP is on your radar at ALL, take what you'd save over an 11 and do some research on how much HP that will bring you. You should make quite a bit more RWHP than a stock 11 for the price, but will probably sacrifice some MPGs in the process. Just try to figure out your future goals for the car and go from there.