2011 GT Charging System Light won't go off?

Jakeonio

Sep 11, 2018
Texas
Hey all, I'm new here! Unfortunately posting out of desperation.

Background on my situation; I installed a ton of A/C parts a couple months ago (evap core, receiver, compressor, and radiator fan) and all went well. My brand new (not reman) compressor went out a couple weeks ago. I replaced it for free, no biggie. Well I start the car after the install and my check charging system message comes on accompanied by red battery light.

Figuring it was the alternator, I had it and my battery tested at a parts shop. Test was good but I did the alternator anyways, assuming that was the issue. The light did not go off. I switched alternators back and returned it. Had them do another test (no accesories running, high beams and a/c, etc.) And the battery output was consistent.

Well I'm trying to sell my car (San Antonio area if interested) and I can't have lights on to explain. So I take it to get diagnosed at a local reputable shop. They called me today to say they think it needs a legit OE motorcraft alternator for the message to clear. It sounds like a ton of BS to me but has anyone ever heard of this?

They also said alternator is good so I'm picking it up tonight and driving it while I contemplate my next steps. Any input is really appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)