• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

2012 Gt Rear End Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter wyobohunter
  • Start date Start date Apr 9, 2014

wyobohunter

Member
Apr 8, 2014
18
3
14
Apr 9, 2014
#1
  • Apr 9, 2014
  • #1
How do I know if my car has a limited slip rear differential (without doing a burnout) and how can I get the gear ratio?

Thanks
 

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Apr 9, 2014
#2
  • Apr 9, 2014
  • #2
In the air, spin one wheel, if the other side spins you have LSD, While in the air look at rear diff cover it may have a tag on it with gear ratio if not, roll one wheel so valve stem is at 12o'clock, mark the drive shaft and then spin it count how many times the wheels spin vs 1 turn of the shaft.
 

wyobohunter

Member
Apr 8, 2014
18
3
14
Apr 14, 2014
#3
  • Apr 14, 2014
  • #3
Easier. I used the ford window sticker, if a different ratio isn't listed it's the 3.31, I checked in the drivers door panel for the axle code. It was GG. Therefore I have a 3.31 LSD.


Which I'm quite happy about. Great acceleration with a 3.31 and the improved economy that comes with it? I'll take it. And I could always upgrade if I decide I need more pep off the line. Though we do not have a local drag strip and we'll probably use this car for family trips in the summer, I'll probably leave it be... Maybe a 3.55 ;-)
Infuriating... Can't, make, up, mind...

Better leave it alone for several months and revisit.
 
Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Apr 14, 2014
#4
  • Apr 14, 2014
  • #4
paying money for 3.55 is not worth it. I still have 3.31 gears on my personal Mustang and its a 12.80 car.... 3vavle so couple bolt ons your 5.0 will be just fine.
 

wyobohunter

Member
Apr 8, 2014
18
3
14
Apr 14, 2014
#5
  • Apr 14, 2014
  • #5
Your prolly right. Maybe just do the axle backs to make it sound cooler and be done.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
155
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Clicking sound from driveshaft/rear differential
  • matthewt
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
2
Views
142
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Aug 28, 2026
matthewt
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
839
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
S
Rear end noise while driving low and high speeds
  • skkrtis
  • Apr 7, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
1K
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Feb 9, 2026
Broncin491
B
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?