Drivetrain 2013 Mustang V6 Prem - Poor Shifting Manual

Prem13

Nov 2, 2012
Minneapolis
I have driven many different manual transmissions from cars to trucks, and find my brand new 2013 Mustang V6 does not shift very well. I will be honest that I was disappointed to find the sheet of paper in the owners manual pack stating the transmission was made in China.

Anyone one else own one of these and experience poor gear shifting performance?

I am not sure if the GT's use the same transmission and shifter, but any of you GT owners experience this behavior?

Next stop is the dealership to have them check it out.

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced the shifter bracket/bushing with a Steeda bracket/bushing, and noticed a more solid feel. The factory bushing is some kind of foam that I think was geared more towards comfort and low noise levels, rather than a solid feeling shifter.

I have also noticed the manual trans. in these Mustangs just needs a tad more finesse than your average manual.

Reactions: 1 user
The first post reply was disappointing, thought I had made a mistake joining this site.

Thanks earleys94gt for the post that put me in the right direction! I plan to start by replacing the base bushing plate with either the Steeda or Barton. If that doesn't give me the shifting performance I am looking for I'll replace the shifter itself. There are many reviews for the Steeda and Barton indicating a huge improvement over the stock shifter.

The stock base bushing plate is an engineering disappointment probably made cheap overseas like the shifter and transmission (and who knows how many other parts).

Still glad I bought this Mustang!

Don't be run off because of one knot-headed post. Shifter upgrades are one of the first and most popular performance improvements in these cars, dating all the way back to the Fox body days.

I have an aftermarket shifter on the T5 in my 67 (Pro-5.0, it came with the tranny), 95 (MGW-HIGHEST ENDORSEMENT!) and am considering one for my 13. I'm not familiar with the 6 cylinder tranny, but as a general rule, Ford builds these for the masses, who are more interested in low NVH than precise shifting. I don't think the Steeda is a bad piece, and I'm not familiar with the Barton, but have read RAVE reviews on it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Barton or MGW. I haven't done a swap on the new body style yet; I know it's more involved than on the SN95, but have to think that if I do it, I'm just going to go ahead and do the whole thing once, rather than piecemeal it. I KNOW you'll be happy with the new shifter route.

I replaced the shifter bracket/bushing with a Steeda bracket/bushing, and noticed a more solid feel. The factory bushing is some kind of foam that I think was geared more towards comfort and low noise levels, rather than a solid feeling shifter.

I have also noticed the manual trans. in these Mustangs just needs a tad more finesse than your average manual.
This.^

The first post reply was disappointing, thought I had made a mistake joining this site.

Thanks earleys94gt for the post that put me in the right direction! I plan to start by replacing the base bushing plate with either the Steeda or Barton. If that doesn't give me the shifting performance I am looking for I'll replace the shifter itself. There are many reviews for the Steeda and Barton indicating a huge improvement over the stock shifter.

The stock base bushing plate is an engineering disappointment probably made cheap overseas like the shifter and transmission (and who knows how many other parts).

Still glad I bought this Mustang!
Let me know if I can help you with anything! We make a quality product (right here in Valdosta, Georgia) and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. We are ISO 9001:2008 certified which is basically a quality control certification stating we consistently make high-quality parts, few in the industry have this.

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-shifter-base-bushing.html