23,000 miles now.. when should I change fuel filter?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I will be changing out my fuel filter at the next oil change. Which will be at 18k miles. I would wait until the next one but I just feel like changing it now. :D

IMHO, you should change your fuel filter every 20k miles for best peformance results. That may sound a bit soon but its better to change it sooner than change it later and wait until you have problems.

I'm not sure if there's any difference or not, but I ran 87 octane from day one. After I got the Mongoose kit installed and started running 93, I changed the filter a little while later (28k miles). I had planned on changing it at 30k anyhow.

fr96ss said:
well considering the filter is cheap and fairly easy to get to i would suggest changing the fuel filter every 5-10 thousand miles. due to the fact that the oxygenated gas likes to clog them up..IMOP

I agree with that statement. I would change mine every 10k but I cant see me getting under my car that often. Gasoline today can be horrible. For that reason, I use Lucas fuel conditioner at every tank. It has injector cleaners and fuel conditioners to facilitate a cleaner fuel burn. So far, my car runs smooth and at every tank, my gas mileage seems to jump a bit. Ive also had no problems with starting, stalling, or loss in power. Stuff really works.

LOCATION: The fuel filter is located just behind the gas tank at the back of the car. More specifically, its in between the rear bumper and rear portion of the gas tank. Its spherical shaped and should be silver colored.

Dark Knight GT said:
I agree with that statement. I would change mine every 10k but I cant see me getting under my car that often. Gasoline today can be horrible. For that reason, I use Lucas fuel conditioner at every tank. It has injector cleaners and fuel conditioners to facilitate a cleaner fuel burn. So far, my car runs smooth and at every tank, my gas mileage seems to jump a bit. Ive also had no problems with starting, stalling, or loss in power. Stuff really works.

LOCATION: The fuel filter is located just behind the gas tank at the back of the car. More specifically, its in between the rear bumper and rear portion of the gas tank. Its spherical shaped and should be silver colored.

On mine (if your under the car from the back) the Fuel filter is in front of the gas tank (toward the front of the car - NOT between the bumper) You will need a Ford fuel line tool to disconnect it from the fuel lines.

CTGrey02 said:
On mine (if your under the car from the back) the Fuel filter is in front of the gas tank (toward the front of the car - NOT between the bumper) You will need a Ford fuel line tool to disconnect it from the fuel lines.

Well, mines between the gas tank and rear bumper. Mines an 01 GT. What year is yours ?

02, Thats kinda interesting if they're in different locations. I've worked on a bunch of my friends cars when helping them install thier fuel filters and they were all were where mine was. Again, they were all 02's.