230 MPH

• Sponsors (?)

I like the tail lights and the nose.
Are those the louvered side window filler panels? Would switching to the flush mount windows or the SVO side window panels put you out of the class since they are 1984-86 or 87 up parts?
As far as the paint, the Mythbusters tested a rough (dirty) finish, a smooth finish, and big golf ball like divots on a car for mileage. It was at a lower speed, but the results were clear. Unless you are willing to have the car hit by lots of softball to basketball size hail, the finish and stickers are not going to make much difference. Any contingency or sponsor money (if that applies at the flats) should help more than any drag from the sticker edges.

This type of racing is beyond the normal here. I’d like to learn and see more about how the car is set up and the process of getting to race there and going fast when there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Those side panels and windows have to stay, The class is 1981 and older 4 seat, carb, production body class. Has to have a non production engine or rear end. Air dams are allowed obviously. Stick a piece of tape anywhere on the car and you will be put in an altered class. If I tried dimpling the body they would put me in the altered class, Fishscale paint or wrap has been tried and the results are positive but expensive. I am a real budget racer. Going to Bonneville is, to say the least, difficult. A typical drag car cage is not the same as an SCTA cage. The SCTA is a bit more stringent on safety. All the vehicles have to build their cars to the record and not what their vehicles are capable of, If the class record in 230 you have to have all the safety gear of a car that goes 230 even if your car will only go 165. My class record is held by a Chevy Monza @ 228. I have to have over 10 lbs of fire suppression. ( I have a 10 lb and 5 lb bottle). An SFI 20 (Think funny car) fire suit is mandatory, as is head and neck restraint, Nomex Shoes, gloves, socks and underwear. Approved Helmet, approved arm restraints, window and door nets. A parachute is mandatory, 2 of them if your car goes over 250. Non laminated glass has to be replaced with Lexan or other approved plastic. Racing tires are mandatory but not drag radials. I have front runners and road race tires. 26", 26.2", 27". Helps when I need to change the gearing a little bit. I have an 8.8 out back so the ring and pinion choices are really limited. I have run a 2.73 and a 3.08 with a regular 4 speed and 1-1 high gear. With the gear vendors OD (.78) I run a 3.73 for a 2.91 final drive ratio. This year I am investing in 2 28.2" Goodyear land speed tires to try and reach 230. Driving on the salt is similar to driving on snow. Accelerating is difficult. We add weight to the car to help prevent wheel spin above 180 mph. Also, I was in high gear at over 7500 RPM and 200 mph for about 40 seconds. Thats a lot of time to ponder whether you remembered to tighten up the drive shaft bolts..

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user