• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

289 to 331 Problems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JC6715
  • Start date Start date Jan 10, 2007
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

JC6715

Member
Oct 24, 2005
284
0
16
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jan 10, 2007
#1
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #1
I am now considering stoking the 289 I currently have. I've been doing research on a few forums and heard people say it's good to go and others say it's a bad idea.

Is there anyone here that has PERSONAL experience with a 289 stroker, be it a 331 or a 347 or anywhere in between?

I've already purchased an intake, carb (although maybe too small for a stroker, 600 cfm) and exhaust including headers for the 289, so I'd like to be able to use these parts.

I know I'll hear, just go for a 351w or a 5.0 roller, but my reasoning for sticking with the 289 block is the duplicated parts I'd have to buy.

Help!

Car Info:

1967 289 block (still haven't tore into it to see the condition)
Wanting a mostly street, sometimes strip torquey mill
Not a daily driver
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 10, 2007
#2
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #2
Sorry I don't have experience with it, but I have heard that the 289 block is not stroker friendly. Don't know for sure. I have seen some disclaimers by manufacturers that you should use a 302 block for their kits.
Best thing to do is talk to the manufacturer of the kit you like.

Is this what you were concerned about, or were you just asking about strokers in general?

Everyone I know with either, 331 or 347, absolutely loves 'em!
Something to be said about getting the extra cubes without extra weight, crowding your engine bay, or buying a whole new engine class of parts.

My .02
Dave
 
T

toolwench

New Member
Jan 4, 2007
21
0
0
Los Angeles area
Jan 10, 2007
#3
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #3
I've been running my 347 stroker for about a year now in my daily driver. The swap was just like swapping any other 302 and the gain in get-up-and-go was incredible. I wish I'd done it sooner. The only thing I feel like I've sacrificed is gas mileage...but not much.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 10, 2007
#4
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #4
JC6715 said:
I know I'll hear, just go for a 351w or a 5.0 roller...
Click to expand...

You do know that Tubular makes headers to put a 460 in your car right?
 

fasttback

New Member
Apr 16, 2005
471
0
0
Northern CA
Jan 10, 2007
#5
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #5
I think I remember hearing something about 289 blocks and stroking kits...the cylinder sleeve is a little shorter than a 302(?). Something to look into at least.

If this is the case, you will have little less support at the end of the stroke.
 

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
Jan 10, 2007
#6
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #6
the 289 block is virtually identical to the 302 block. about the only difference between blocks is the length of the cylinder walls, and that is rather miniscule(.13"). go for using the stroke in the block you have. you wont have a problem, unless you plan on running a 3.5" stroke in that block.
 

Z06killinSBF

Member
Apr 25, 2005
457
1
19
McKinney, TX
Jan 10, 2007
#7
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #7
I read in the High Performance Small Block Fords book that the 289 has shorter piston sleeves but it is ok for "small" stroker kits'. I'm not exactly sure to what that means but I am thinking it means 331ci which is actually the better of the two (331 vs. 347).
 

JC6715

Member
Oct 24, 2005
284
0
16
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jan 10, 2007
#8
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #8
Thanks for all the input guys.

The search continues...
 

S-Car-Go

Member
Mar 25, 2003
332
0
16
San Jose, CA
Jan 10, 2007
#9
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #9
I'll tell ya next week. Just finishing up my 331, 289 block, solid custom cam, etc. Should be able to fire it up soon.

No reason it wouldn't work. Plus early blocks have a higher nickel content and are stronger than roller blocks (not that I'm getting near the hp needed to split either).
 

JC6715

Member
Oct 24, 2005
284
0
16
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jan 10, 2007
#10
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #10
S-Car-Go said:
I'll tell ya next week. Just finishing up my 331, 289 block, solid custom cam, etc. Should be able to fire it up soon.

No reason it wouldn't work. Plus early blocks have a higher nickel content and are stronger than roller blocks (not that I'm getting near the hp needed to split either).
Click to expand...

That would actually be great if you let me know how it goes. This will be my first engine build and want to make sure I don't lunch it right away.

Thanks a lot!!
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 10, 2007
#11
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #11
JC6715 said:
This will be my first engine build and want to make sure I don't lunch it right away.
Click to expand...

*Take your time!

*Double check EVERYTHING!

*Read voraciously on the subject...
 

JC6715

Member
Oct 24, 2005
284
0
16
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jan 10, 2007
#12
  • Jan 10, 2007
  • #12
ratio411 said:
*Take your time!

*Double check EVERYTHING!

*Read voraciously on the subject...
Click to expand...


That's for sure. My eyes are going crossed cuz I've been reading up on the topic so much.
 
6

65intex

New Member
Sep 16, 2006
85
0
0
Ft. Worth, Texas
Jan 11, 2007
#13
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #13
Isnt there a 306 stroker kit available from a few different speed shops? Would the 306 route be a "safer" solution than a 331 with a 289 block?
 

Jester67

Member
Sep 21, 2004
908
1
18
TN
Jan 11, 2007
#14
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #14
The difference between the 289 and 302 are so small when it exist that will not be a factor and as mentioned earlier the 289 blacks are a little stronger. The one thing to look for and the reason for the warnings are casting imperfections at the skirt. Other than that your 289 block will be fine.
 

mustbereel

Member
May 6, 2005
318
0
17
Escondido, CA
Jan 11, 2007
#15
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #15
347

I recently put a 347 kit into a 289 (not the engine in my avatar). Although I haven't driven the car yet the engine started and ran fine for the cam break in period. Before going with a 347 I researched the cylinder wall length. I came across some info compiled by Bob Mannel who wrote a book called "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8". He measured a bunch of 289 and early 302 blocks. He found on average the 302 block cylinder wall was 0.070" longer than the 289. However, the longest 289 was longer than the shortest 302. His conclusion was that they were both nominally 5" and that casting differences accounted for the various lengths. He also mentioned that it's possible that the later 5.0 cylinder walls are longer but had not measured any yet.

Since this the car I put this is not my daily driver and will not be raced I decided to go with the 347 and not worry about the life expectancy of the engine.

However, if I did not already have the 289 I would have found a 5.0 roller block to stroke.
 

Z06killinSBF

Member
Apr 25, 2005
457
1
19
McKinney, TX
Jan 11, 2007
#16
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #16
Well then, what exactly makes a 289 block different from a 302?
 

LMan

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
1,246
0
0
Mom's basement
Jan 11, 2007
#17
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #17
Nothing significant to the user. The recip assy accounts for the displacement difference. 3" stroke vs. 2.87"
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Jan 11, 2007
#18
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #18
The 302 is just a stroked 289

Seriously, they have the same bores and other than a casting number you'd need a mic to determine any differences in the blocks. I would not do a 347 in a 289 block, but I wouldn't do a 347 in a 302 block either, I'm just not a fan of a big stroke. Thats why my 351W is only a 357W instead of a 427W, the 383 or 408 was tempting though.
 

starchiefus

Member
Dec 17, 2003
43
1
7
San Diego
Jan 11, 2007
#19
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #19
I was going to stroke my 289 to 331, but the expense wasn't in the budget at the time so i just installed a 302 rotating assembly-crank,rods and pistons (cannot use 289 pistons as the piston skirt is longer and will hit the 302 crank counterbalances).

I wouldn't hesitate to stroke a 289 to 331, but if i was to do it all over again i would probably do a 327 stroker as per this article.....it uses chevy pistons -alot cheaper than probe industries-i think you could probably do the whole rotating assembly for less than $800. Crank,rods,pistons,rings and the machine work.
Just another suggestion.
Steve.
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/ford_small_block_stroker_engine/
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 11, 2007
#20
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #20
65intex said:
Isnt there a 306 stroker kit available...
Click to expand...
Yes
It's called a 302 crank, rods, and .030" over pistons.

On the other posts:
I heard the 'myth', didn't know for sure, but thought I would post it and let folks that knew for sure either confirm or deny.

I don't know why everyone is so ga-ga over 5.0 blocks. They are easy to hydraulic roller, yes. However they are thin as tissue paper.
Pre-72 blocks are thicker and higher strength iron (nodular).
They can be converted to hydraulic roller with a retrofit kit or purpose made cam.
Better yet, they can go solid roller with no issues at all.
Not down on 5.0 blocks too bad, just my opinion.

Nice thing about 289s and 302s, you can't tell from the outside what the engine really is. It looks like a 289, but is it a 302, 331, 317, 347...

Dave
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Block questions
  • s_vargas54
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
21
Views
937
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 8, 2026
Trogdor
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
243
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
J
Help Figuring Motor Choice(Possible future turbo)?
  • jaygee15
  • Dec 14, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
804
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 3, 2026
Jarhead67
J
  • Locked
Engine Might have to get a Dart block but don't want to and if I do, then 363 instead of 331. Thoughts on what I've already bought so far.......
  • from6to8
  • Jul 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
576
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2025
Noobz347
Might have to get a Dart block but don't want to and if I do, then 363 instead of 331. Thoughts on what I've already bought so far.......
  • from6to8
  • Jul 8, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
52
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 9, 2025
from6to8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?