• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

289 to 331 Problems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JC6715
  • Start date Start date Jan 10, 2007
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 11, 2007
#21
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #21
starchiefus said:
I wouldn't hesitate to stroke a 289 to 331, but if i was to do it all over again i would probably do a 327 stroker as per this article.....it uses chevy pistons -alot cheaper than probe industries-i think you could probably do the whole rotating assembly for less than $800. Crank,rods,pistons,rings and the machine work.
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/ford_small_block_stroker_engine/
Click to expand...
I glanced at that article.
I will read it later, I like that stuff.

However, I noticed right away that they are welding and offset grinding the stock crank for 3.25" stroke. They are also using .030" over pistons.
That is a 331.
If they used a standard 4" bore, it would equal 327 cubes.
Therefore, could you not get a cast 3.25" stroke crank (331) for cheap, use stock rods (or whatever the article calls for), and use the pistons called for... and come up to the same price?
A cast crank is new and will be the same or less than welding and offset grinding the stock crank. At least around here shop time is about 60 bux an hour.
4-5 hours of that and you have paid for a new crank. Can they weld and offset grind from start to finish in that time? I wouldn't think so if I was to guess.

Dave
 

starchiefus

Member
Dec 17, 2003
43
1
7
San Diego
Jan 11, 2007
#22
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #22
Yes, it would be better to buy a crank from Summit,etc. I thought the article might be pretty old when i read how they had to weld and build up the crank, when we all know you can go and buy one. It still seems like an interesting way to go, especially like you said with the overbore you basically end up with a 331 anyhow, at a reasonable cost, I would think.
I'm almost tempted to build one up and put it my 55 Pontiac just for the sake of interest, now that the mustang is almost done. Hmmmm......
 

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
1,000
0
37
Washington, MO
Jan 11, 2007
#23
  • Jan 11, 2007
  • #23
Z06killinSBF said:
I read in the High Performance Small Block Fords book that the 289 has shorter piston sleeves but it is ok for "small" stroker kits'. I'm not exactly sure to what that means but I am thinking it means 331ci which is actually the better of the two (331 vs. 347).
Click to expand...

Not trying to "defend my displacement" or anything but I am in the early stages of planning my new build, based around a dart block (mine is a paper thin 87-93 5.0) and I want to be well informed before I commit to a ci.

I want to know why I hear from time to time that 331's are a better choice than a 347? Is it the shorter stroke? Higher rev potential? I really want to know and am not arguing / starting a debate, just want back up.

Before you answer;

Mine has never had any oiling issues (extra care was taken to smooth the inside walls of my entire block to speed oil return, is that why mine does not have oiling issues?

Built in 02, not a radical build, 475FWHP, pulled it last winter to do a cam swap and went ahead and ring & bearinged it - everything looked great, really didn't need to be freshened.

The reason I am moving away from the factory block is I want to spray it hard or psuh some air through it.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 12, 2007
#24
  • Jan 12, 2007
  • #24
washMO66 said:
I want to know why I hear from time to time that 331's are a better choice than a 347? Is it the shorter stroke? Higher rev potential? I really want to know and am not arguing / starting a debate, just want back up.
Click to expand...
The debate is over 'rod ratio'.

When the stroke gets long and the block, rod, piston are short, in order to cram it all in, you lessen the rod ratio.

A short rod on a long stroke is known, for a fact to:
*Put more side load on the piston bore, wearing the cylinder bore egg shaped, causing excessive friction, and giving another point for something to fail.

*Dwell the piston for a shorter length of time at TDC. Soaking up less power from the combustion event.

*Then, not related to rod ratio... The short pistons needed to fit the long stroke in the small package are compromised as far as ring langs, pin location, and all this can lead to short life and/or oil consumption.

Now, before anyone flames me for being anti-347, I am just throwing out the valid points of the 331 vs 347 debate for the sake of washMO66.

There is a very passionate debate between the camps as to exactly how much difference these facts make to a street engine.
The pro-347 crowd feels like these issues are not a big deal and the negatives are far outweighed by the extra cubes.

The 331, 306 crowd believes that not pushing the envelope to the limit will reward them with longer engine life, and in the case of the 331, they believe that a little extra power could be available in piston dwell to make up for the 16 cube difference.

It comes down to:
If you want every last bit, and don't mind a little risk of shorter life, go 347.
If you want an engine that you know for sure will not consume oil or wear out a block, go 331.
Not the the 347 will for sure do these things, the 331 is just for more conservative folks.
Dave
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 12, 2007
#25
  • Jan 12, 2007
  • #25
Btw: I also know of people that would rather build a 306 with 5.4 rods and short piston than to add stroke.

Not only does a long rod take side load off the block, the dwell at TDC allows the piston to use every bit of push put on it by combustion.
Makes more power, the piston changes direction more slowly causing less stress on everything, and revs higher.

Again, just putting forth the 'long rod' crowd's arguement.

Rod ratios:
289 = 1.796:1
302 = 1.696
331 = 1.661 (when using 5.4" rod)
347 = 1.588
LR 302 = 1.800 (5.4" rod)
LR 302 = 1.848 (5.545" rod)
Boss 302 = 1.718
351w = 1.701
LR351w = 1.880 (351m/400 rod)
351c = 1.651
LR 351c = 1.721 (Aussie 302 rods)
Just for giggles, the Aussie 302 = 2.008!
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Jan 12, 2007
#26
  • Jan 12, 2007
  • #26
starchiefus said:
I was going to stroke my 289 to 331, but the expense wasn't in the budget at the time so i just installed a 302 rotating assembly-crank,rods and pistons (cannot use 289 pistons as the piston skirt is longer and will hit the 302 crank counterbalances).

I wouldn't hesitate to stroke a 289 to 331, but if i was to do it all over again i would probably do a 327 stroker as per this article.....it uses chevy pistons -alot cheaper than probe industries-i think you could probably do the whole rotating assembly for less than $800. Crank,rods,pistons,rings and the machine work.
Just another suggestion.
Steve.
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/ford_small_block_stroker_engine/
Click to expand...

Although the 327 stroker is the same bore/stroke as the Chevy, it does not use Chevy pistons. The only way that would be possible is if the pistons had centered pins (Fords are offset slightly) to allow you to install half the pistons "backwards" (the chevy valve layout isn't the same as Ford) to orient the valve reliefs to accomodate the valve arrangement. The pin height would also need to be correct to match the stroke, rod length and pin height to the block deck height.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Jan 12, 2007
#27
  • Jan 12, 2007
  • #27
D.Hearne said:
Although the 327 stroker is the same bore/stroke as the Chevy, it does not use Chevy pistons. The only way that would be possible is if the pistons had centered pins (Fords are offset slightly) to allow you to install half the pistons "backwards" (the chevy valve layout isn't the same as Ford) to orient the valve reliefs to accomodate the valve arrangement. The pin height would also need to be correct to match the stroke, rod length and pin height to the block deck height.
Click to expand...

In the article they tell you that they recut the valve reliefs and honed the small end of the rod .015" to take the Chevy pin.

I have heard of plenty of folks using Chevy pistons in Fords.
They even make aftermarket Ford rods with Chevy pin bores to accomodate this.
Kinda like they make aftermarket cranks setup for Chevy rods.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Jan 12, 2007
#28
  • Jan 12, 2007
  • #28
Lotta ifs and machining there, easier and probably cheaper to just buy the correct 331 stroker pistons for a Ford.
 

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
1,000
0
37
Washington, MO
Jan 12, 2007
#29
  • Jan 12, 2007
  • #29
ratio, thanks for the info, still learning...... and will be for a long time.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Block questions
  • s_vargas54
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
21
Views
940
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 8, 2026
Trogdor
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
259
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
J
Help Figuring Motor Choice(Possible future turbo)?
  • jaygee15
  • Dec 14, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
808
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 3, 2026
Jarhead67
J
  • Locked
Engine Might have to get a Dart block but don't want to and if I do, then 363 instead of 331. Thoughts on what I've already bought so far.......
  • from6to8
  • Jul 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
576
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2025
Noobz347
Might have to get a Dart block but don't want to and if I do, then 363 instead of 331. Thoughts on what I've already bought so far.......
  • from6to8
  • Jul 8, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
52
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 9, 2025
from6to8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?