3.73 gears & speed

faspony

Sep 17, 2006
Hey,

I am considering 373 gears in my 06 GT and I got to wondering what to expect for performance. Has anyone ever timed their car before and after to see what the, let's say 0-60 time? Or maybe the time for 0-80?

I know my 355 gears seem really slow from a stand still, until the RPM's get higher. I want to have more at the low and mid range.

I'd be interested to know what your experience has been.

P.S. you will note that the info at the end says I have only a Hurst shifter and S&B Filter...so far.
I have attempted to update this but it won't work. Anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Since you already have 3.55s don't waste your money on 3.73s. Get 4.10s. Who ever says 4.10s are not good for the hwy probably doesn't have them. I have 4.10s and I drive over 60 miles to and from work and over 85% of the miles are on the hwy. I am not sure how much they improved my 0-60 or 0-80 times but I know they did

Since you already have 3.55s don't waste your money on 3.73s. Get 4.10s. Who ever says 4.10s are not good for the hwy probably doesn't have them. I have 4.10s and I drive over 60 miles to and from work and over 85% of the miles are on the hwy. I am not sure how much they improved my 0-60 or 0-80 times but I know they did

Amen to that !!

I have 3.73 in the Bullitt and like them but I am with everyone else if I where making the change form 3.55 I would go 4.10 same cost more reaction form the seat of the pants dyno.

3.73 and Speed

I was always told to go at least two steps to to gain any noticeable performance...

I have an auto tranny and went from the stock 3.31 to 3.73...

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Not to mention that I also supercharged it...

Good Luck and "Don't Fear the Gear"

Dave

I was always told to go at least two steps to to gain any noticeable performance...

I have an auto tranny and went from the stock 3.31 to 3.73...

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Not to mention that I also supercharged it...

Good Luck and "Don't Fear the Gear"

Dave

+1 on a big difference... First time I got in the highway with the wife in the car she said Wow what did you do?
Change in Torque multiplication....
373/355 = 1.05 vs 410/355 = 1.15

So you are looking at an increase of 5% vs 15%

And yes, you will take a MPG hit especially on the Highway. I took one of about 8% when I went to the 3.73s. And I can drive around at 35 mph in 5th gear now. Twenty Five in 4th. With the 410s you would be able to drive around at 30 MPH in 5th I am sure. With my 3.73s, I find 1st to be a tad bit in the low side. I think that the 3.55s would have perfected where 1st ought to be as with the stock gears 1st was to high.

Now if there is Forced Induction in your future, I would leave the 3.55s in there. But then I don't race. Just need a little oomph to get out ahead in traffic once in a while.

+1 on a big difference... First time I got in the highway with the wife in the car she said Wow what did you do?
Change in Torque multiplication....
373/355 = 1.05 vs 410/355 = 1.15

So you are looking at an increase of 5% vs 15%

And yes, you will take a MPG hit especially on the Highway. I took one of about 8% when I went to the 3.73s. And I can drive around at 35 mph in 5th gear now. Twenty Five in 4th. With the 410s you would be able to drive around at 30 MPH in 5th I am sure. With my 3.73s, I find 1st to be a tad bit in the low side. I think that the 3.55s would have perfected where 1st ought to be as with the stock gears 1st was to high.

Now if there is Forced Induction in your future, I would leave the 3.55s in there. But then I don't race. Just need a little oomph to get out ahead in traffic once in a while.

I really appreciate your input, very scientific, I like that.
I just need to figure what it is I want to achieve.
I don't do a lot of highway driving so either 3.73 or 4.10 gears would work for me. I find that the 3.55 gears effect my low end torque at slower speeds.

Just today I pulled out into traffic and when I looked in my rear view mirror, there was a guy right on my butt. I was in second gear at that point and stepped on it to get some space between us, even with the pedal down it felt the torque just wasn't there. It took a while for the RPMs to get up and make some power, I hate that!
Now I am running a JLT cold air and SCT tune, but the torque or the lack of...is the problem.
I am assuming that with either the 3.73 or 4.10 gears I would have been able to leave this guy in the dust.

Test Drive

I think I will take a test drive in one of the new 5.0 Mustangs with the 3.73 gears just to get a feel for how it performs. This should help me decide which gears, 3.73 or 4.10s will meet my needs.

I think I will take a test drive in one of the new 5.0 Mustangs with the 3.73 gears just to get a feel for how it performs. This should help me decide which gears, 3.73 or 4.10s will meet my needs.

thats not going to be a fair comparison to your 06 since the new 5.0 has over 100 more hp. If anything test drive a 2010 with 3.73s to see if its better. Also the 5.0 will have a different torque band then your 06 as well, so really all your going to feel is a different engine rather then the gears. Also isnt the 5.0 a 6 speed or am i way off?

thats not going to be a fair comparison to your 06 since the new 5.0 has over 100 more hp. If anything test drive a 2010 with 3.73s to see if its better. Also the 5.0 will have a different torque band then your 06 as well, so really all your going to feel is a different engine rather then the gears. Also isnt the 5.0 a 6 speed or am i way off?

Well I've decided to go with the 4.10 gears after talking to my performance tuner guy. He assured me that I would far happier with these gears as apposed to the 3.73s.

Happy Motoring

What about the 3.90 gears it is a good compromise between the 3.73 and the 4.10's think about it.

Only motive and yukon, which is I believe is owned by motive make 3.90s and motive is notorious for gear whine. You might get luck and have zero gear whine and you may have FRPP 4.10s and have gear whine but it be better to be safe and get FRPP. After all, there is not much difference between 3.90 and 4.10s.

Ford Dealer Installation...

I have a 5 speed manual with the 3.31 ratio on my '07 gt, and I'm interested in going to 3.73s. Any idea how much it is (ball park) to have them installed at a Ford dealership? I would go with the FRPP gears...

Thanks!

I have a 5 speed manual with the 3.31 ratio on my '07 gt, and I'm interested in going to 3.73s. Any idea how much it is (ball park) to have them installed at a Ford dealership? I would go with the FRPP gears...

Thanks!
Ford dealers tend to charge a lot more. A Ford dealer quoted me $700 for labor only. Look for performance shops in your area and ask around which shop(s) they would recommend. Gear install from a speed/performance shop usually runs $250-350.