3.73 vs 4.10

So, the AOD-E won't pull WOT? I thought it did,could be wrong. Anyways,don't go less than 3:73's, the SN cars are heavier and you'll want the lower gear. A buddy of mine years ago had a 94'GT vert. Had 3.27's and he had the local Ford dealer install 3:55's, going totally against what I told him. Paid $500 and could't tell a difference.

• Sponsors (?)

On a stock engine car with no plans for upgrades, AOD, go 4.10s, you won't regret it.

However if you are going to swap to a T5, I'd do 3.73s. All of my prior foxbodies I installed 3.73s, all were 5 speed cars. The T5 with 3.73s is a whole lot of fun.

If your going to do engine mods and make more power I'd do a 3.27 or 3.55 gear personally. With more power you don't need as much gear, unless it's a drag car, but that is a whole different story anyway.

I've been debating this myself for my 87 GT. At some point I may bulld a 347 stroker, but still NA and not radically cammed or anything, I will likely go 3.73s. They really do make the car feel completely different, especially over the 2.73s my car has in it now.

I don't do much highway driving at all, mostly all country backroads and with the 2.73s, 5th gear is pretty much totally useless. I've never had a 3.55 geared car to compare it to, but I don't want to regret not going with the 73s. We shall see:)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PlusOne
Reactions: 1 user
Since I am the ONLY one around this place that would rather work with the V6 over V8. I can chime in saying that the V6 94-04 comes with 2.73:1 and I swap that 7.5 rear out with the 8.8 3.27:1 that you all usually toss out at a very cheap price. It is a very noticeable difference behind a T5 and very fun. I was also looking into 3.73:1 like I had in my 93 but after the first swap with the 3.27:1 I was quite pleased and lost no drivability in the process. I build mine out to be FUN Daily Drivers that wont kill your wallet in gas. No they may not pass everything other Mustang on the road......... But they pass gas stations all of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I am the ONLY one around this place that would rather work with the V6 over V8. I can chime in saying that the V6 94-04 comes with 2.73:1 and I swap that 7.5 rear out with the 8.8 3.27:1 that you all usually toss out at a very cheap price. It is a very noticeable difference behind a T5 and very fun. I was also looking into 3.73:1 like I had in my 93 but after the first swap with the 3.27:1 I was quite pleased and lost no drivability in the process. I build mine out to be FUN Daily Drivers that wont kill your wallet in gas. No they may not pass everything other Mustang on the road......... But they pass gas stations all of the time.

Sure, it's all personal preference in the end. 3.27 rear is still an improvement over over the 2.73, especially if the price is right.

I have a '90 GT with AOD and 3.73s (and a 26" tall tire). I would recommend them. I find when calmly leaving a traffic light at part throttle it shifts into 2nd partway through the intersection. Based on that, I think 1st gear with 4.10s would be non existent unless at WOT.

I usually do my country driving around 55-70 mph (1750-2200 rpm in OD), 4.10s will add 200 rpms to those numbers.

Just my 2 cents