3" or 3.5" exhaust tips? Foxbodys please post pics

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought bassani pipes with 3" tips on them... i have looked at a bunch of pics, and ill tell you right now, you don't want any bigger than 3" on a fox.

Anything bigger just looks ghey.. 3" is borderline, but still looks BADASS.

You want 3" if not 2.5"

Mavrick said:
I just bought bassani pipes with 3" tips on them... i have looked at a bunch of pics, and ill tell you right now, you don't want any bigger than 3" on a fox.

Anything bigger just looks ghey.. 3" is borderline, but still looks BADASS.

You want 3" if not 2.5"

Are you sure? By looking at this pic on Corral, they don't seem too big.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=457635

Hey thanks for remembering, FiVeLiTeR87GT!! They are a set of 22" x 3.5" SS tips I got from a company on Ebay. They were $50 for the pair. I used an old set of Flowmaster 2.5" GT tailpipes, cut them off, and welded the SS tips onto them. They look good with a Cobra bumper, because you can't see where the tip meets with the tailipipe..... but it wouldn't look good on an LX, in my opinion. The cool thing about LX tailpipes on an LX is that the stainless part goes all the way up behind the wheel and gives the appearance that the whole exhaust is made of the polished stainless. But with a Cobra bumper, you can only see so much of the tips anyway... so you can't see where mine are welded to the tailpipes. I was very happy with the results.
tips.jpg

rear_quarter.jpg

BADPONYsc said:
.............. The cool thing about LX tailpipes on an LX is that the stainless part goes all the way up behind the wheel and gives the appearance that the whole exhaust is made of the polished stainless. But with a Cobra bumper, you can only see so much of the tips anyway... so you can't see where mine are welded to the tailpipes. I was very happy with the results.

Heres my LX with 2.5 inch.

aug2905.jpg

BADPONYsc, your stang looks really good. I've got a silver GT that looks exactly the same (color is exact) except I've got a GT wing and no exhaust tips. What size wheels are yours and what size tire? I've got Welds 15x8 w/265/50. Do you any problems with the tailpipes clearing the tires.

Ok, you guys proved me wrong.. with a Cobra bumper, the 3.5" tips look badass.. but on an LX i think 3" is pushing it.

MahFiveOh, those pipes look PERFECT on your car, and they're 2.5"... nice car man!

on the coupe tho, i had 3 1/2" X 24" and the weld where the tip met the pipe was still behind the tire, but it was still a little too big, i then went to a 3" X 24" so the weld was still behind the tire and it was a lil better, and now i have a custom exhaust hand bent from collectors back made of 2 3/4". i had the rear pipes dipped to give them some protection and to halp make it easier to clean and to be really honest i think my 2 3/4" look better than the 3" or 3 1/2" i had. but as i said, this is a couple with stock bumper and they were dipped all the way to the axle hump right behind the flowmasters.

also looked pretty good when i had the turndowns coming straight out of the flowmasters and pointing outward toward the tires, no visible pipes, and the sound was awsome!!

SilverBullit said:
BADPONYsc, your stang looks really good. I've got a silver GT that looks exactly the same (color is exact) except I've got a GT wing and no exhaust tips. What size wheels are yours and what size tire? I've got Welds 15x8 w/265/50. Do you any problems with the tailpipes clearing the tires.

My color is code KA, or "light crystal blue metallic". It is the car's stock color that was used on LX's only. I don't know why they called it blue, since it looks very silver.... but in some light, it does have a blue-ish hue to it.

My rear Welds are 15x8 with 5.5 backspacing, and yes, those too are 265/50R15's. I had 295/50R15's on them when we welded the tailpipes on, so there's plenty of clearance between the tailpipes and the tires now. 265/50R15's will fit with stock or aftermarket tailpipes though. I got tired of the rubbing with the 295's and put these 265's back on that I already had. They don't rub at all and I think they look nice enough.... although I am a big fan of big ole' fat tires, though. :D

As far as different tailpipe setups.... noone's right, noone's wrong. Whatever you like the look of, go with it. Some like 3" to 3.5"....some think it's tacky. I wouldn't knock anyone's exhaust because exhaust is one of the most fun things to play with on these Mustangs. When I converted this LX to GT style with my wrecked GT's stuff, I already had Flowmaster LX polished 2.5" tailpipes and loved them. They looked great, sounded great, and were of great quality. When I got the Cobra bumper and installed it, I had to extend the hangers so they would hang lower and even then, the tailpipes wouldn't mount inside the Cobra bumper's cutouts.... no matter how hard we tried, they were off-centered in the holes. The bends in the tailpipes just wouldn't work with us. Plus, I thought the 2.5" pipes looked small in comparison to the Cobra bumper. I think the bigger ones look better.
2.5", 3", 3.5", dumps and different mufflers.... it's all cool. Switching around with different setups is the only way you'll ever know for sure what you like. I've had it all and liked each one for different reasons. It's just that those shiny, straight, slash-cut tailpipes are one of the fox Mustang's strongest trademarks. That's why I got the Cobra bumper.

Love all the pics, guys! :nice: