Engine 302 Build Question

Middleagecrisis

Aug 23, 2020
Seguin
I recently purchased a complete '99 Explorer 302 and have a question regarding the factory pistons. Plans are to freshen up the block (new bearings, rings, ARP rod/head bolts), clean up (mild port) the GT-40P heads/intake, valve spring upgrade/E-cam and 24 lb. injectors. Since this is a mild build and being done on a budget, I plan on utilizing the factory hyper pistons and opening up the ring gaps to allow me to utilize a small shot of nitrous (100-125 HP). The rest of the drivetrain is an AOD w/2800 converter and 3.27 LSD (I do some highway driving). I know this isn't the first time this type combination has been put together. Given the inherent block weakness and stock piston material, I'm looking to not exceed 400 HP w/nitrous at the flywheel. Should the hyper pistons be okay with opened up ring gaps at this power level?

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't suggest he run any kind of piston, just shared a video so people can learn something. And now I'm sharing an article to read instead of watching a video. Knowledge is power. :cheers:

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Understand forged is the ideal way to go, but if I spend $500 (minimum for pistons/machine work) it kind of defeats the purpose of a "budget build". Then why not get good rods, then the factory block is weak, on and on and on. The question was if I open up the ring gaps to allow expansion, would a small hit of nitrous be okay on hyperuetectic pistons. I know it's fun to spend other people's money, but I'm looking for comments from people that have done it.