• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

302 options

  • Thread starter Thread starter cjperry81
  • Start date Start date Mar 11, 2008
C

cjperry81

Member
Feb 4, 2008
53
0
6
Lebanon, OHio
Mar 11, 2008
#1
  • Mar 11, 2008
  • #1
I am planning on doing a I6 to V8 swap in my 66. I have been looking for 302 's lately and have come across several on the net. I know that alot of people on here talk about using an 88-93 engine but I have also come across a couple 1970 302's and I am wondering what the real differemce would be and is one a better choice than another. I plan on rebuilding the engine no matter what but just wondered if I should pick one over another.
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 11, 2008
#2
  • Mar 11, 2008
  • #2
cjperry81 said:
I am planning on doing a I6 to V8 swap in my 66. I have been looking for 302 's lately and have come across several on the net. I know that alot of people on here talk about using an 88-93 engine but I have also come across a couple 1970 302's and I am wondering what the real differemce would be and is one a better choice than another. I plan on rebuilding the engine no matter what but just wondered if I should pick one over another.
Click to expand...

The later ones have roller cams, which have a host of small advantages over older non-roller cams (wider powerband, slightly more power/mileage, easier to tame on the street, etc). They should also come with EFI equipment, which again could be desirable (again, minor improvements in performance and drivability). Plus the later model E7 heads aren't bad. And they come with forged pistons (some of them, anyway).

Definitely want a late model 5.0 if you can get one.
 
6

67rcks

Member
Feb 20, 2008
373
0
17
Mar 12, 2008
#3
  • Mar 12, 2008
  • #3
I think around 1985 5.0 mustangs came with roller lifters and carb, these are fine if you don't want to do efi conversion.
 

jspagna1

Member
Jan 23, 2007
53
0
6
Connecticut
Mar 12, 2008
#4
  • Mar 12, 2008
  • #4
Just a suggestion, would you be better off buying a crate motor instead. I would think after all is said & done with machining the block and having the motor rebuilt? Unless you are going to rebulid it yourself?
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Mar 12, 2008
#5
  • Mar 12, 2008
  • #5
jspagna1 said:
Just a suggestion, would you be better off buying a crate motor instead. I would think after all is said & done with machining the block and having the motor rebuilt? Unless you are going to rebulid it yourself?
Click to expand...

Depends what area you are from. If you find a motor at a junkyard you can get them really cheap sometimes. You can come out WAY a head. The main problem is finding a good/reliable/affordable machinest.
 
S

Sicarius428

Active Member
Jan 6, 2004
2,085
5
49
Mar 12, 2008
#6
  • Mar 12, 2008
  • #6
In my area an HO longblock from 88-93 will run you about 450 bucks and are very easy to find in good condition. They can typcally handle 450hp before they split. The early 302 blocks are a tad stronger but as said before, roller cams, small upgrades and a plethera of aftermarket parts driven by the fox plaform really make the last generation of 302s probably ideal for a swap. E7 heads aren't bad but the stock HO intake is the chokepoint. If you stay carb get a stealth and you should be set.
Kevin
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
1965 Mustang with 80s 5.0 engine in it Power Steering hose or connection ID?
  • spearce
  • May 19, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
168
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 8, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
can you use the heads off a H O 302 to put on a regular 302 engine
  • Jan H
  • Feb 25, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
6
Views
468
Other Auto Tech May 17, 2026
nickyb
Weber Carburetor tuning help
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
171
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
D
Early ford 302 heads
  • Dagasser
  • May 4, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
1
Views
99
The Welcome Wagon May 4, 2026
Noobz347
T
Oil burning on my recently buil 302
  • The blk67
  • May 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
203
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 15, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?