Engine 302 Vs. 302 H.o.

Justin422

Nov 21, 2015
Besides the firing order being different, what other differences are there between the 302 and the 302 H.O. engines? Hope this is the right spot for this question.

The Block, crank and rods are the same, the differences are

• HO 5.0 came with 225 HP non HO 5.0 had 150 HP
  • HO have E7 heads, non HO use the E6 heads.
  • HO have forged psistons with valve reliefs, non HO are cast and flat top
  • HO has a hotter cam than the non HO. Some non HO are flat tappet cams.
  • All HOs have a roller timing chain while pre 1988 non HO do not
  • HO motors have 19# injectors, non HO use14#
  • The HO upper Intake and throttle body opening 58MM vs non HO 50MM
  • HO have ss headers, NON HO 5.0 has cast iron exaust manifolds

Reactions: 1 users
The tubular style factory 5.0 headers used to be pretty stainless steel before the heat and time rusted them....interesting.

the 87-93 ho motors have forged pistons,im pretty sure the 86 ho has forged pistons but theres no fly cut so u cant fun a good size cam.the regular 302 say in a crown vic has cast pistons and usally the e6 lower compression heads.the cam in a ho has the better firing order 13726548 where the reg 302 has the ty firing order. the blocks are the same. the crank is the same and the rods are the same.
ps 87-93 ho motors are a dime a dozen

The cam question is tricky. It depends on firing order, lifter style, valve clearance,....can't say that any 302 cam would work.
As to HO motors being cheap and a dime a dozen? Deals are out there if you look, but the prices are well up over what they were a few years ago and the days of pulling a running explorer engine from the jy are practically behind us as well.

A solid functioning engine/tranny will fetch over a grand these days. That's over a third of what most of these cars are worth.

I got the motor (block, pistons, heads, shorty headers, cover) for $100 from a friend. I got a coworker who has a x303 roller cam new in box and crankshaft for $100 as well. I paid $800 for the mustang roller itself.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk