306 or 331 need suggestions

Blue89Hatchback

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Im in the process of building my new engine. I want to buy aftermarket rods and pistons, so I figured I might as well go with a stroker. But my limiting factor is my stock block. I plan on running an s-trim with 12-15 psi making about 550-600 HP. Would a 306 be a better choice if I want my block to live or will the 331 hold up. And if I use H-beam rods compared to I-beams how much heavier are they and will they affect my block standing up to this power. I've already got AFR 185's and a Trick Flow R intake which should work well with this combo so would this be a good choice?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

1BAD90GT said:
I am going with the Windage tray and main support to hold the motor together.

Just like this guy did...

608534_16_full.jpg

The stock internals are proven to outlive the stock block. If you do a 306, dont waste your money on aftermarket internals. If your set on upgrading your internals, then take the chance to do a stroker kit at the same time. Keep the tune under 500ish at the rear wheels and youll be fine for a long time. Main girdles do exactly what the picture shows, they dont prevent main cap walk or allow more hp, the simple hold the crank in the block when it blows. Good luck.

DONT BE THE ONE...
:nonono:

im002168.jpg

331 all the way

I have a stock block and currently am running a 306 with a stock bottom end. I dont know how much experience you have in mixing and matching parts, but why not let the experts do it? What I mean is there are several top engine builders that already have packages out there, that have been tested time and time again. I am going with the 331 stroker from DSS. Since I have a stock block like you, I am going with the Windage tray and main support to hold the motor together. You are getting really close to the designed max HP and Torque of the stock block, so if you can afford it, it might be worth it to buy a Dart block. Otherwise, toning down the boost to maybe 12 at the most will give your motor a little bit of safety.

Just my .02.

Ditto the others. 9:1 is ok, but with a stock block you are limited and with the boost you want to make, eclipsing well over 500rwhp is easily obtainable.

Girdles for motors are like girdles for women; they just hide the fact that they ain't that great! They do something, but its not a true solution.