• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

315s ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GT 5spd
  • Start date Start date Jan 27, 2006
G

GT 5spd

New Member
Apr 9, 2004
127
0
0
Jan 27, 2006
#1
  • Jan 27, 2006
  • #1
I am thinking about getting some 315/35/17 on my 98 a GT. I will put them on a 10 1/2 inch wheel... So my question is what kind of rubbing issues will i have?
 

TweekedGT

New Member
Jul 22, 2004
1,274
0
0
Alberta
Jan 27, 2006
#2
  • Jan 27, 2006
  • #2
Depending on the tire, Zero. I have 315 Nitto 555r's on 10.5's and don't have any problems. I have heard they have a little smaller footprint than other brand tires though. If you go the Nitto route, no problems.
 
G

GT 5spd

New Member
Apr 9, 2004
127
0
0
Jan 27, 2006
#3
  • Jan 27, 2006
  • #3
I am thinking about going with the Sumitomo HTR Z...
 
C

cvgtpony03

New Member
Nov 17, 2005
52
0
0
Maryville, TN
Jan 27, 2006
#4
  • Jan 27, 2006
  • #4
I have those

17X10.5 Black Chrome Cobra rims in back 27mm offset. 315/35-17 Sumitomo HRT Z tires. Lowered about an inch or so. A little rubbing "I THINK". The reason I say that I think is that I think I hear them bump the fender when the rear compresses and it looks like the may be rubbing a little on the tire but it is not enough to be damaging the tire in any way or tearing them up. I am going to try rolling the fenders tomorrow if the weather is good. I found a little tech on how to do it. That way I won't even have to "THINK" that it is doing it anymore. Here are a few picks of the fitment if you can see from that distance.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_0370.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_0371.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_0372.jpg
 

hotmustang331

Active Member
Apr 29, 2004
2,967
3
48
Bastrop,TX
Jan 27, 2006
#5
  • Jan 27, 2006
  • #5
^Zero????
As long as your not lowered to much, you should be fine. SOME CBs rub...but that seems rare. In that case you could probably heat the pipe up, and move it a little.
 

stangGT97

New Member
Dec 22, 2004
1,299
1
0
Boston area, MA
Jan 28, 2006
#6
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #6
nittos are a full inch narrower than 315 BFGs and Goodyears, and about 1/2 inch narrower than Sumitomos
View attachment 489563

If you have a basically stock GT, I think 315s are a little overkill. they look good, but you dont have the power to merit the extra traction, and the extra rotating mass is certainly going to slow you down a bit. Just my $.02... when I get new wheels, I'm going with 275s MAX in the rear
 
C

cvgtpony03

New Member
Nov 17, 2005
52
0
0
Maryville, TN
Jan 28, 2006
#7
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #7
Woohoo I came in second!!!!

Haha. You are right. I did notice a little power get sucked up by the fat wheels but I will be blown soon hopefully so that will be taken care of. That is a nice graph/comparison. I like that. Never seen it before. The little loss in pull is still worth it right now though for the extra grip. MY A$$ IS PLANTED.
 
9

99svtdlb

New Member
Jan 17, 2006
40
0
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Jan 28, 2006
#8
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #8
stangGT97 said:
nittos are a full inch narrower than 315 BFGs and Goodyears, and about 1/2 inch narrower than Sumitomos
View attachment 489557


I want to get 18x10.5 in the rear for my 99 cobra. I will be putting on sportline springs soon and want to know if I'm going to have problems with the IRS with those size rims. If not, could I put on 285s or even 315s without rubbing?

btw...nice graph
Click to expand...
 

wannabe2000GT

New Member
Nov 9, 2004
138
1
0
upstate, ny
Jan 28, 2006
#9
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #9
just do it and ignore the sientific bull ****. its straight dude. it looks BADASS!
 

Killa Klown

Member
Jun 8, 2004
48
0
7
Cabot, Arkansas
Jan 28, 2006
#10
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #10
Ive got sumitomos 315/35/17 on a 10.5 bullitt on my 96 gt, no rubbing issues what so ever, i have 275/40/17s on the front, they are very close to the strut but they dont rub just very close, I say go for it.......looks awesome
 

Bubba Z.

New Member
Apr 7, 2005
88
0
0
Tallahassee, FL
Jan 28, 2006
#11
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #11
You guys who can slap them on a 96-98 GT are lucky. There is no way 315's would clear my Bassani exhaust. I've got 255/40s on a 17x9 rim with just about an inch clearance right now. I doubt if a 10.5" wheel would fit on mine.
 

blackfang

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
1,290
1
39
Richmond, Va
Jan 28, 2006
#12
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #12
I am putting them on my car. Soon as I get the H&R Sport springs and LCA's installed I am removing the quad shocks so they will fit.
 

98blackmagic

New Member
Jun 2, 2005
386
0
0
wouldnt you like to know
Jan 28, 2006
#13
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #13
I have 315/35 BFG DR's on my 98 and it has Eibach springs and no problems.
 
G

GT 5spd

New Member
Apr 9, 2004
127
0
0
Jan 28, 2006
#14
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #14
I forgot to add i have Steeda Sport springs.......I have a buddy who has some BF Goodwrench 315s and i put them on and they were rubbin the quad shocks and the Ebrake line bracket.... so i took the the quad shocks off and moved the bracket..... In the future i will prolly relocate the quad shocks later..... Thanks for the input guys and nice graph i will prolly order the tires and wheels first thing monday morning.
 
G

GT 5spd

New Member
Apr 9, 2004
127
0
0
Jan 28, 2006
#15
  • Jan 28, 2006
  • #15
I forgot to add i have Steeda Sport springs.......I have a buddy who has some BF Goodwrench 315s and i put them on and they were rubbin the quad shocks and the E brake line bracket.... so i took the the quad shocks off and moved the bracket.....I will prolly relocate the quad shocks later..... Thanks for the input guys and nice graph i will prolly order the tires and wheels first thing monday morning.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Oil cooler delete 4v 4.6 1999 cobra mustang
  • sami12
  • Feb 24, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
395
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 25, 2026
GOvert
G
For Sale Fox BRAND NEW Motorcraft spark plugs, wires and hood prop rod clips
  • Ricomondo
  • Sep 6, 2026
  • Engine and Power Adder
Replies
0
Views
183
Engine and Power Adder Sep 6, 2026
Ricomondo
305-45-17 tires on Pony wheels (17")?
  • TTSaleen
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
764
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 25, 2026
TTSaleen
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
143
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?