351W into a 1984 Mustang

vinjoe65

Apr 29, 2011
This is the first swap I have done with a Fox car. I have a 1974 351W going into a 1984 Mustang. Which distributor should I use. I don't want to use an MSD box. Just want to make this as easy as possible.

Any help will be much appreciated.

1974 351W motor
1984 Mustang original 5.0 car
Will be carbureted
Flat tappet hyd.
internally regulated alternator

• Sponsors (?)

Excuse me for not knowing much about your year model Stang, but what does your car have for ignition stock? Did 84s have TFIs, same as the EFI models?

If so, you can pull the TFI distributor out of a 5.8 Bronco, plug-n-play.
Just make sure it's a pre-94, so you are certain to get a non-roller distributor to work with your flat tappet cam.

Bottom line, I would work on finding a truck 5.8/351w from the same era as your 84 because it is likely to have the same ignition as your Stang.

why not? try and sort through that mess of stock quasi computer-esq crap or just put an msd box and coil in it. no brainer for me. just my 2 cents

There is no sorting through anything if his car still has all it's original ignition.
Unplug the 302 distributor when you take out that engine, and plug in the new 351 distributor when you load up that one.

As for a 74 Ford distributor, if he were to go that way, I'd at least recommend upgrading it to a Pertronix.