3G alternator Q. Will one from a 3.8 work?

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
Or more exactly, which alternators from which year stangs qualify? Can I use the one that my 96 uses? It has a large power wire that attaches to the very back , to a nut. I have read through many 3G conversion tutorials, but they don't get into details on which alts qualify for this conversion. I'd rather not go the PA Performance route because they are expensive and beyond my budget.

As always, thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. The 96 Alt is the one that just needs a little grinding on the bracket.. correct? It was also saying something about the alts from the Econolines and F150's being easier to install. That the upper ear has a threaded hole. Is this the easiest one to install?

That I dont know... I went the more expensive route I guess and got the PA alternator kit and I am installing it with an aftermarket bracket so I wont need to grind the stock one. Some material removal is needed on the stock 5.0 bracket though, you just need to test fit it to see how much, PA performance has an install page on their site that shows where to grind, etc. Also, since the housing is aluminium, it wouldnt be too hard to tap the top hole if you need to. If you dont want to do that, you could use a bolt with a lock washer and nut, there should be room for that.