3g alternator wiring

cotarisk

Jun 8, 2011
hawaii
I have just installed a new 3g alternator from a 94 ford f=150 4.9 liter. it was putting out 14 something volts when we finished install and started it up. but then a fuse was blown and the next day the battery was dead. i need a wiring diagram with explanations to where each wire goes and why. i put the charging wire to the pos. battery post instead of the solenoid. i also have a resistor in the line but no idiot light...

• Sponsors (?)

I have just installed a new 3g alternator from a 94 ford f=150 4.9 liter. it was putting out 14 something volts when we finished install and started it up. but then a fuse was blown and the next day the battery was dead. i need a wiring diagram with explanations to where each wire goes and why. i put the charging wire to the pos. battery post instead of the solenoid. i also have a resistor in the line but no idiot light...

Hi Bud,
It's easy. Just Google for the diagram. They are all over the place.
Good Luck!

The resistor takes the place of the Alt warning lamp (idiot light)

here is the diagram with some explanation:

3GAlternator.jpg

Please forgive me for sort of hi-jacking this thread, but..... Is the 3G alternator internally regulated? If so, what needs to be done at/with wiring at the original regulator connector? My car is a 68, if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
Gene

Please forgive me for sort of hi-jacking this thread, but..... Is the 3G alternator internally regulated? If so, what needs to be done at/with wiring at the original regulator connector? My car is a 68, if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
Gene

yes the 3G is internally regulated. the power wire to the old regulator can be extended and hooked up to the starter solenoid. the other wires can be taped off.