3G Conversion Tech Articles

bit

Founding Member
Sep 27, 1999
Anderson, SC
I have done some reading about changing my car over to the 3G alternator, but I still have a few questions. Mainly about changing the main charging wire. Can someone point me to a few good (complete) tech articles?
Thanks
Brent

• Sponsors (?)

In that first article they attach the two black/orange wires to the 3G alternator. My understanding is that those wires need to be left disconnected, and only the new 4ga power wire gets connected to the alt.

NO matter what you read do not reconnect the black / orange power cables to your new higher output alterntor. If the are connected and your 4Gauge wire fails, all of that power (heat) will then be transfered to those tiny little wires. Too much heat and you could be looking at an engine fire.

Here is my write up on my 3G install. There are a few pictures that might help you out Click here

bit said:
Mainly about changing the main charging wire.

Brent
You run the new 4 AWG (or numerically smaller) wire, fused or fusible linked of course, to the starter solenoid battery lug. What more is there?

See FFI.com and Kevin's pictures (89, err 04 sleeper) posts about how the FFI harness looks and works (it's a nice piece if you dont want to make a harness).

Good luck Brent.