• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

3g Power Wire From Donor Car.

  • Thread starter Thread starter billison
  • Start date Start date May 25, 2015

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,607
1,094
184
stl
May 25, 2015
#1
  • May 25, 2015
  • #1
Ok, today was half price day at the local parts yard. The goal was to get a 3G alt.

I found a mostly new looking 3G on a Taurus 3.0. While I was removing the harness I decided to see how long the stock power wire for the car was.

It took a bunch of cutting and pulling but I ended up with this for only 2$, it's long enough and has a fuseable link.




Using the harness from the car I only had to make minor changes. I had to add a ring terminal for the yellow wire and splice the green wire into the stock harness. The rest was already done from the factory.



Bolt it up and it looks factory.



Just need a little more wire loom and some zip ties.

Total cost

Alternator $15
Power wire $2
Ground wire $10 (didn't think to get one from the parts yard)
 
Reactions: jrichker

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
May 26, 2015
#2
  • May 26, 2015
  • #2
Nice find!
It is always good to find J/Y treasure, and you did just that. The fuse link alone would have cost more than $2.
 

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,607
1,094
184
stl
May 26, 2015
#3
  • May 26, 2015
  • #3
Yup. On my last one I bought the pre made harness off eBay for like $15 and spent a other $25 or so on 4awg wire and terminals.

I was pretty happy with myself, that and I never realized how easy it was to adapt the harness.

So $30 in for a 3G is not bad, I snagged a explorer throttle body for $20 while I was at it.
 

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,607
1,094
184
stl
Jun 2, 2015
#4
  • Jun 2, 2015
  • #4
Got to drive it at night for the first time since the upgrade. The headlighrs are so much brighter than before. It's nice not seeing everything dim when I turn other things on.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Electrical From scratch: alternator wiring
  • fox racer v2
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
639
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 23, 2025
fox racer v2
F
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
348
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Electrical ’86 Mustang – Power Windows/Locks Dead After Terminator X Swap
  • 5.0 Mike
  • Aug 21, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
252
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2025
5.0 Mike
J
Power Wire Upgrade Question
  • jhaling
  • Dec 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
309
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Noobz347
Resolved Holley terminator integration into CCRM
  • BrandonMP
  • Feb 25, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
463
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 23, 2026
fasterthangas
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?