4.10 or ?

therzl

May 20, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
I own a '96 Cobra with 110K miles. The engine is stock (and N/A). I've completed moderate suspension upgrades, MGW shifter...I'm considering swapping out the 3.27 gear with a 4.10 or 4.30. Any recommendations as to which ratio and why? Also, my stock clutch is going. I'm looking at the Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 ($245 @ AM). It's a random consideration based on reviews I've read. Any suggestions regarding clutches, brands etc? Should I replace the clutch cable, and is a speedo gear a good choice for re-calibrating the speedometer? Lastly, if anyone happens to know, approximately where would the rpm be hovering at 65/70 mph if I installed a 4.30? Thank you for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

With stock size tires, you're looking at around 2600 RPMs at 70 with a 4.30 in 5th.

Mine's a GT, but the same era/transmission. I did a clutch at around 180k and ran it for a while on the stock cable still. Only changed it because I had an adjustable one on hand. I doubt yours is an issue.

What are the future goals of the car? Is it ever going to see boost? A lot of people say "don't fear the gear", but I've always been conservative in that area. The steepest I've had was 3.90's in my 01 and those had me contemplating a Viper spec 6th gear for my trans to lower the freeway RPM's.

For those wondering I swapped a T-56 into my 01 among many other changes.