4.6 DOHC into a 69

• Sponsors (?)

I guess us modular guys are just looking for something different. As far as power, not really interested in breaking any records, time wise or HP. In my younger days I'd gave my left nut for something over 700 HP. Now, its just knowing its there. As Paul Harvey has said, "with age comes a license, with time comes wisdom".

Pull off that Heaton and put on a KB or Whipple and you'll see 700.

Looks nice.

Oh I love to KB or Whipple this thing, Hood clearence was a big issue with this build and as khr427 will find out. The 5.4's are a couple of inches bigger all around than the 4.6's, and with adaptor plates, this raises the engine another inch. One way I was able to get everything to fit under there was to machine a aluminum wedge to lower the angle of the air horn behind the throttle body. Its the polished aluminun wedge looking thing beside the nitrous plate on the supercharger. Couldn't figure a way of doing this with a KB or Whipple without major cutting of the supercharger. Probly would shoot the warrenty if they carry one. khr427 I would try to keep the engine as low as possable. If you are going with a M2 suspension, see if the maker can tilt notch the crossmember in the middle so the oil pan can clear easily. I used "Rod and Custom" in South Carolina. They knew exactly what and how to do this. :nice:

The reason that I went with a modular engine wasn't for the speed. I like the idea of a stock fuel injected engine, that will get excellent mileage, has almost 300hp, and is different. I did it for the challenge. I like to build, modify and make things work. Other than in magazines or on the internet I haven't ever seen another coversion. At Birmingham last summer there were a lot of really nice cars but no conversions like this. Right now it has a 4.6 DOHC, cast cobra air cleaner, power rack and pinion, roller spring perches, shelby drop, 5 speed, disc brakes, cobra hydroboost, stock wheels and wheel covers, cable clutch, and 2002 GT exhaust. The next planned upgrade is a Lincoln Mark VIII rear suspension. This car started out as a plain Jane 6 cyl automatic and still looks like one except for the exhaust exiting through the rear valance. I've done all of the work myself over the last two years in half of a small two car garage. Everyone has their reasons, mine was to see if I could do it. Sorry for the long post.