4.6 in a FOX Body! Need advice!

MoNsTaMaCk24

Founding Member
Aug 12, 2002
Shippensburg, PA
Ok I have an oppurtunity to get a hold of a 87 Mustang GT with a blown motor has over 200,000 miles. It will be given to me. So I will pay NOTHING! Question is... How hard is it to put a 4.6 in this car. I am replacing the motor out of my 1997 Mustang GT with a full built one... So I will have a motor that runs good. Will my 4r70w fit right under there and what will I have to do driveshaft wise? Or would it be easier to go with a 5 speed and different bellhousing... So the thing is the 1987 Mustang GT is an automatic with a blown engine and my 1997 Mustang GT is getting all replaced and switched to a 5 speed... Will my k member fit under the 87 too? ANy help highly appreciated. I guess I will need another wiring harness and ecu too?

• Sponsors (?)

rebuild... come on it has over 200,000 miles... they think the valve dropped so... Who knows how much actual damage is done ya know... And I have a running 4.6 fully assembled... And I am still finishing my 97... So if I take the 87 it will be ultimate budget! And who knows salp some pi heads and intake on it and it could be a fearsome 4.6 Fox! I dont wanna spend over a grand

MoNsTaMaCk24 said:
Ok I have an oppurtunity to get a hold of a 87 Mustang GT with a blown motor has over 200,000 miles. It will be given to me. So I will pay NOTHING! Question is... How hard is it to put a 4.6 in this car. I am replacing the motor out of my 1997 Mustang GT with a full built one... So I will have a motor that runs good. Will my 4r70w fit right under there and what will I have to do driveshaft wise? Or would it be easier to go with a 5 speed and different bellhousing... So the thing is the 1987 Mustang GT is an automatic with a blown engine and my 1997 Mustang GT is getting all replaced and switched to a 5 speed... Will my k member fit under the 87 too? ANy help highly appreciated. I guess I will need another wiring harness and ecu too?

it will be a lot cheaper just too buy another 5.0 and drop it in there. it's not like it will be faster with a stock 96-98 motor. a 99+ motor would be a improvement over the stock 5.0. but even that is not cost effective.

MikeZ28 said:
it will be a lot cheaper just too buy another 5.0 and drop it in there. it's not like it will be faster with a stock 96-98 motor. a 99+ motor would be a improvement over the stock 5.0. but even that is not cost effective.

"Cost Effective" Remember you said if you "buy" a 5.0 motor... I HAVE A 4.6 ALREADY! if I sell it I could get like 300 for it... I would be different as well... Its cheaper to not by a new motor if you have a project motor... Ill have a k member out of my car to I am switching the 97 to tubular...

maaaaan! jump into the project! in the end you will have a happy face on!

on top of that the engine will not cost you anything! you will need little nick nacks, but every project has those

Unless you have a lot of time and can fabricate your own parts/brackets you would be better off just selling the 4.6 and using the money to buy a 5.0
When Mike says it wouldn't be cost effective, he's referring to all the hidden costs your going to run into doing the swap. You'll need a custom made exhaust, motor mounts[as you'll be reusing your's from the 4.6] tranny, shorter drive shaft, wiring harness, EEC, electric fan, hydro boost brake system and lots of other little things you'll run into along the way. Besides, 5.0's are cheaper to mod anyway.

CanadaStang said:
Unless you have a lot of time and can fabricate your own parts/brackets you would be better off just selling the 4.6 and using the money to buy a 5.0
When Mike says it wouldn't be cost effective, he's referring to all the hidden costs your going to run into doing the swap. You'll need a custom made exhaust, motor mounts[as you'll be reusing your's from the 4.6] tranny, shorter drive shaft, wiring harness, EEC, electric fan, hydro boost brake system and lots of other little things you'll run into along the way. Besides, 5.0's are cheaper to mod anyway.
true... but you'll have a modern drivetrain in a shell that will be a classic soon :p

let me direct your attention to this thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134855

it would've been easier and cheaper for him to just rebuild the 65 and to mod the terminator, BUT he decided to mold them together and make something VERY unique to his liking. that is what i like about your idea.

i personally would take and drive a fox with the OHC engine and newer drivetrain!

tarch said:
let me direct your attention to this thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134855

it would've been easier and cheaper for him to just rebuild the 65 and to mod the terminator, BUT he decided to mold them together and make something VERY unique to his liking. that is what i like about your idea.

i personally would take and drive a fox with the OHC engine and newer drivetrain!
Good point! Damn, I would sooooo like to have that 65' with my engine and 5spd in it. [or 2003 Cobra engine:banana:]
I was just thinking that being an 87'....... :shrug:
I guess if that's what he want's, and has a shop to work on it and knows what he's getting into, it's just not something I'd be willing to do.
That 65' though....Hmmm....