4.6 Swap Underway. Need Ideas To Solve Rear Axle Problem.

modulistic

Nov 26, 2002
alright, so this is happening.
IMG_20150503_172113_zpszfao2tk8.jpg

Please dont bitch at me about why Im doing a SOHC into the fox. Thats just how it is. So, the red hatch used to be a 5.0, but I swapped everything out of it into a 4cyl, its a shell - it now sits on a 4cyl axle. The newedge track width is like 1.5 inches wider on each side. 4lug 4 cyl HAS to go.

The odds of me finding a fox 8.8 in Alaska are apprx 0%. Im willing to purchase different rims if I can make the new edge axle work. I cant find a straight answer on that on the googles. I would like to move it over to the fox. I would rather not pay to ship a fox 8.8 up here, but if I have to, I have to.

what other options are there? narrow the axle tubes and get sn95 5 lug axles? Id rather not spend 2.5 million dollars on a rear axle solution. Are there any other vehicles that are common that can donate an axle?

• Sponsors (?)

Get different offset wheels and you should be fine. The new edge rear axles are longer and will stick out of the fenders more. If you swap out the front spindles without swapping over all the other suspension, rack, etc. you'll need a bumpsteer kit. @Mustang5L5 has a wealth of knowledge on these swaps..

thank you for your response. So do you think it would be as simple as taking the offset of the stock new edge rim and adding (or subtracting) 1.5" when ordering the wheel?

the fox currently has 4cyl springs under it. My intention is to bring the new edge suspension over with the k frame/ axle.

Sounds like a good project considering what else is there to do in Alaska besides kill %$@#.:shrug:
I'm 99.9% certain the k-member will not swap over,you'll need a Mod swap Fox k-member,unless some SERIOUS fab work is in the plans.

Good luck

You can take the K, guys have done it, don't remember the specifics, but I think the rear mounting holes need to be modded and the front arms need to be shimmed to the back.
Research it though before you take my word on it.

The axle housing on the 99 and later Mustangs is wider than the fox and 94-98 Mustangs, If I remember correctly the axle housing, is 1.5 " wider You are going to have problems making it fit.

With the right rims, it can fit. You'd basically need to run DEEP rims, like on the 05+ cars to make it work.

Bigger issue is bolting it up as the 99+ control arms use a different diameter bolt then the pre-99 control arms. I think it's 14mm vs 12mm but not sure. Basically you'll need sleeves.

I know you didn't want to hear any :poo: about doing a 4.6L swap to a Fox....but what about just a repair to the SN95? What kind of shape is that New Edge in....because it sure doesn't look that bad in the pic? If it were me, I'd abandon the Fox and fix up the other car. Still looks like plenty of project for you....and parts will be easier to find. Not to mention you'll have a much nicer driver in the end.

Right off the bat, I see a great excuse for an '03 Cobra front bumper swap. :D

haha, I already crossed the point of no return. If I am reading everything correctly, the 4.6 Kmember will swap in with some minor grinding. the 8.8 sits 1.5 inches wider on each side. the stock 02 bullits come with +30 offset, so to make it stock width, I would need something like +70mm I dont even know if thats possible.... I might be able to live with it a half inch wider than stock, there is some room to come out towards the fender and I can roll it if I need to. a +55 offset will sit the rim a half inch wider than stock... If I am doing the maths right. but then I need to think about the fronts... definitely wont be same rims front and back.

KIMG0122_zpsuxsokavt.jpg

"I think it's 14mm vs 12mm but not sure. Basically you'll need sleeves."

thanks, good info. I guess I will just have to mock it up and see how it fits. plenty of work to do before that point.

I think this is the ticket. The width from outer wheel lip to outer wheel lip is 68" or so. The measure from fender lip to fender lip is about 68 inches as well. If I roll the lip and the 197 wheel sucks it in a half inch, it should fit barely.

Thanks 5l5. a 98 axle materialized out of nowhere, what complications exist when using that axle? entire brakes and wiring harness are going over to the fox. Will stock sn95 rims fit with the sn98, or will I still have outpokage?

That axles is a much better fit. You'lol need to adapt the brakes likes to a 94-95 style however meaning you'll have to buy 94-95 rear soft lines (auto parts store) and then run brake line to the center pumpkin to a union and the to the body.

Actual brakes themselves same as 99+ so you can rob parts from the newer car if in better shape, just not the axle shafts as those are longer.

Actually outpokage is 3/4" each side. More manageable but still need to pay attention to rims. If you use those bullitt wheels you are fine. How my car is set up

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great news. These fox sway bar mounts... Do they need to be cut out? I'm going with the fox control arms so I will need the fox sway bar, correct. Do you know if the 4.6 will fit with the mounts in there. I guess I could get out the tape measure.