429 Cobra Jet in '02 mustang

So i have a fully built 429 Cobra Jet that my dad built about 2 years ago to put in his ranchero however he got a deal on a srt8 charger and let the motor sit. So i have plans for the motor but want to know if its out of the question or not. Im thinking about putting it in my 02 Gt. I heard from some people it wont fit, its stupid, why would you do that. But besides that, i would like some input from people with knowledge about the situation. What do you think? worth it? if so what would i have to do?

• Sponsors (?)

You can put any motor in anything if you have enough determination and/or money. I don't have much knowledge of the situation, but I would imagine you would need to measure a lot to make sure it will physically go into the engine bay, fabricate engine mounts, and get an old school transmission in there...or get/make an adapter plate that will allow you to bolt it to a modern one. Then you have to worry about things like cooling, fuel, wiring, and all sorts of little problems that you won't know about until you run into them.

Unless you have a significant amount of money to spend, or a fully equipped shop and great fabrication and welding skills, I would drop it into a more appropriate 60's/70's Ford product.

If the physically-large 2- and 4V modulars fit, I imagine just about anything would fit under the hood of a New Edge Mustang.

Sounds like fun for an off-road project. Legally I don't think you can do this from an emissions-controls perspective (i.e. putting an old mill into a newer chassis) and you may have registration problems for a street-driven car. I don't know what sort of emissions inspections and the like you have in Delaware so you might want to check that before breaking out the torches...

delaware is pretty chill about emissions. i could get it through. my main concern would be just like wiring and such. i hate electronics. haha. like how would i rig it to my computer and stuff? or would i totally by pass all of that. starting to seem like a alot of work for a gt with only 30,000 miles.. might wait till 130,000 for a project with my kids or something one day hahaha

a carb engine would have less than 10 wires running it.

you need a switched hot for the coil, 2 wires from the distributor, alt wiring and then gauges. the wiring part would be the easiest part of the whole project. as others have said, it is going to be a lot of fab work. sounds like a cool project but i would guess by the time it is running you will be in at least 10K.

a carb engine would have less than 10 wires running it.

you need a switched hot for the coil, 2 wires from the distributor, alt wiring and then gauges. the wiring part would be the easiest part of the whole project. as others have said, it is going to be a lot of fab work. sounds like a cool project but i would guess by the time it is running you will be in at least 10K.

Like he said. From the starting point it would seem wiring would be the hard part, but like SaleenGT2001 said that would be the easiest part. Most experts would say to not even try it because of the fabrication needs and budget. If money isn't a problem than by means do it. But your gonna get into a world of problems. I would go the route of a automatic C-4 matched to that 429 cobra jet. But looks like you'll have to find custom headers for a 429 cobra jet into a new model mustang. Headers like that might cost you $1,000 alone.