5.0 hipo

hey! i am planning a 5.0 build with 289 hipo heads. they will be worked with 1.94/1.60 valves and blended accordingly. i am using sealed power h606p pistons .030 over at 0.0 deck clearance.a edelbrock performer 289 intake man (4bbl carb).stock crank and c8oe rods with 3/8 arp bolts for strength.i will be using shorty headers with x pipe and magnaflows.am planning on using the 5 speed stocker trans.compression should be around 10.0-1. my problem is that ive been reading the forums on camshafts and im more confused now than when i started!my goal is a street driven mustang that roars when i stab it.i dont care about a loppey sound and i am not planning to try and run over 5500-6000 rpm all the time. i want a cam with a broad torque curve but i dont want one thats going to fall on its face below 2500 either!i am toying with the notion of an e-303 cam(have one) or the stocker with 1.7RR.now some would say the stocker with extra lift is my graceland, but i think the e-303 with 10.0-1 compression and the right carb might just balance out with good low end and a nice midrange!! what say the people in the know????? thanks:

• Sponsors (?)

wow, a lot of things wrong with this combo,....

Nothing performance wise about a 45 year old set of heads, or a 25 year old cam grind.

getting a $400 96-01 explorer with gt40/gt40p heads and a good cam will make a lot more power than what you're planning....

don't be afraid of the newer parts...you'll get 300 flywheel + out of what I mentioned...I think what you're planning, you may hit 200 flywheel, maybe a little more

i did the research on the gt 40 heads and ported 289 hipo's are decent when your considering the valve size upgrade, the bowl blend and the fact that im not looking for high rpm power only! the gt 40 heads claim to fame is nothing more than larger ports with a more modern design and a slightly smaller combustion chamber!designed all for the glory of increasing high rpm flow!now i have enough compression and im opening up the valves and lightly working the ports on these heads.i will be matching the intake ports to the heads. i am looking for some advice on the cam however if there is a suitable grind for my endeavor.i dont think people understand that larger ports on everything is not the key to a street engines success. drag racing and WOT ...yes, absolutely. its the same idea that if you have an exhaust port thats ohh.. 1.250'' size and a set of headers that have 1 5/8"- 2' primaries are going to make that engine scream!doesnt make sense! smaller port sizes create lots of flow velocity which creates torque. if combo'ed and matched correctly will result in a broad torque curve.most people cant do it, i am trying to.

I understand what you're saying, and can respect that....

you need a custom ground cam for your application...

how much are you spending on those heads?

BTW, real life experience and the #'s you crunch are two different things.

gt40/p heads are NOT all upper end high hp heads. on our dyno pull with a 5.0 roller short block, gt40 irons, and a tfs 1 cam, hp dropped off at 5850 rpms...or just shy of 6k.

torque if memory serves me was over 300 pounds.

from my three builds with gt40/gt40p cars, I can tell you right now that i roasted the tires all the way through first gear to 6k rpms, roasted the tires all the way through second gear to about 4000 rpms, then chirped it in third gear.

low end power was so amazing, that at the track with a busted track lok, but a set of et streets on my car, I still roasted the tire (lol) through the end of first gear and into second..

In the end, you "may" have a head that will perform close to what that gt40 head will stock. If you ported the gt40, it's all over.

I'm just talking dollers and sense, and imo and many others, old school stuff is out performance wise...it just can't keep up any longer.

i see what you are saying and i have seen some new data on the heads!with my hipo heads id be good to squeeze all the potential out of the stock cam!i would love to use some gt40 gt40p heads but it seems where im located they are very hard to find and if someone has a set they think they were cast out of gold. i know they are awsome heads but i dont have the budget for those prices! i do have a set of e7te heads from a 93 f-150.i could put my efforts into porting and working in some bigger valves on those.i was hoping i wouldnt have to go head hunting (haha) for more heads! im almost tempted to ditch the whole project and build a roller 351.theres no replacement for displacement!!:shrug:

I wasn't trying to kill your project....

I've just seen people in my vintage forums dump some SERIOUS coin building the vintage motors/heads then come back complaining that they're only dyno'in 200 hp give or take. It happens nearly every day.

We have to remember that the old ratings were rated without all the accessories bolted on. The old ratings for the old 289s were 210hp, but when rated by today's standards, it's 150 hp....so a SERIOUS deficit in hp has to be overcome just to put out the same 225 hp that a 5.0 e7 headed motor is putting out stock.

the explorers from 96-01 came with those heads...have you tried calling your local 4x4 yards?

the above poster is correct about the alum heads...I've seen the alum gt40 heads go for $600..try ebay...New I think they're under a grand (which is pricey, but not too bad for an alum head)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories