5 lug parking brake mod - pics please help!

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
OK i have done a 5 lug swap to my car. I'm getting close to actually firing her up, but i don't know how to mod the e-brake handle. I've done Disc in the rear. sn95brakes (mjbobbit) doesn't tell you where to mod the parking brake. I was told i needed to snip the spring and spot weld some piece. I was told to click it like 2 gears, and weld. Can someone PSpaint some areas there i need to weld, and which gear i need to click like twice? there are 2 gears, one that controls the piece the cable snaps into, and one gear for when you actually pull up the handle. Hopefully someone can help! :)

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

Is this the gear that needs to be clicked like twice before i weld the round sprocket that holds the e-brake cable?
IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6433.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6430.jpg
    IMG_6430.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_6431.jpg
    IMG_6431.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_6432.jpg
    IMG_6432.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_6433.jpg
    IMG_6433.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 504
  • Sponsors (?)

See Mustang Central.net FMS M2300K Brake Install for help with the emergency brake. The red words link to some very useful photos on how to modify the handle. The stock setup tends to lock up and not release properly.
All in all I have been very pleased with the results.

Thanks Jrichker - However i have a question.. for this part

url]

Is there a new cable i need that goes between the handle, and that threaded rod? I think it says it, but where can i get a small cable like that that runs through the handle, to the threaded rod?

Yes, there is a new cable. They sell them at www.fordracingparts.com part number is M-2810-A, it is $30. If you look at the 5 lug conversion kit on the site you can go to the installation instructions it is item #53 and shows a picture of it in the installation instructions if you scroll down the page. I'm pretty sure that's what your looking for.

Make sure you install the short cable into the handbrake "Before" you weld it as I had a hell of a time fishing mine into place afterwards. I used a 98 Cobra Handbrake because I wanted the nice leather handle, its also best to just remove the spring completely as if you just cut the tab off it can be a source of rattling!

Ahh those redline goods boots look really good!!! I'll have to do something like that. I don't want any gauges or anything like that, stock is how i want to keep it with some small touches. :nice:

I also want some custom speedhut gauges. I was thinking about doing a blue background, but i may just do white. Its all future stuff once she's running and the mechanics are 100%. Then i'll start on cleaning up the body, and give her a new fresh coat of white paint :nice:

One thing I've noticed about the ebrake handle is that the new leather ones do not have the curved part of the pawl coming over the top of the handle and sitting in the notch. The extension ends before it would have curved. Looking at the handle in the Saleen the curved part of the pawl has been cut off as well as welded to the tooth. Not sure what the purpose of cutting the bracket is since it only allows the handle to be lowered maybe 1/8 inch more. The FRPP instructions also don't mention anything about having to cut the pawl.

One thing I've notice about the ebrake handle is that the new leather ones do not have the curved part of the pawl coming over the top of the handle and sitting in the notch. The extension ends before it would have curved. Looking at the handle in the Saleen the curved part of the pawl has been cut off as well as welded to the tooth. Not sure what the purpose of cutting the bracket is since it only allows the handle to be lowered maybe 1/8 inch more. The Ford instructions also don't mention anything about having to cut the pawl.

I don't think you "have" to cut it, but it allows for the handle to lower a little bit more. I cut it on mine, along with the spring, and welded it up and its fine. E-brake works great.

I didn't know at the time i needed a special e-brake cable with a threaded rod on the end.