5w20, better gas mileage?

2000GTNY

Jun 21, 2005
Albany, NY
If I ran 5w20 synthetic instead of 5w30 Mobil 1, would I get better gas mileage like some suggest? It seems like that is what I am reading as the reason for the switch in Ford putting it in the newer cars.

What are your thoughts? My Ford Escape calls for 5w20 so I could just buy the same for both vehicles if I will get better fuel economy.

Something tells me my mind is clouded...

• Sponsors (?)

I can't believe it either. It seems to be the general consensus that the motors didn't change, but the oil recommendation did. CAFE standards are mentioned which leads me to believe that there must be a tad bit better gas milegae to be had from the light weight oil.

BUT, like I said in my first post, my mind might be clouded! :) I'm no scientist

Nothing noticeable. However, I lost around 1/2 to 1 full mpg going from 10w30 to 20w50 in my ZJ. The 5w30 to 5w20 thing was done to meet CAFE standards. If you want to read more about it, check out http://www.bullittarchive.com/7002.htm

I'd run whatever is thinnest and you can still maintain good oil pressure with. I run 5w20 here in AZ all year, but according to lots of people, that's too thin. However, my oil pressure readings at hot idle are just as good as people running 5w30.

Some people just follow the crowd.. and don't do their own research.

2000GTNY said:
I can't believe it either. It seems to be the general consensus that the motors didn't change, but the oil recommendation did. CAFE standards are mentioned which leads me to believe that there must be a tad bit better gas milegae to be had from the light weight oil.
This is true. Ford did change almost the whole vehicle fleet from 5W30 to 5W20 for an improved C.A.F.E. rating. Yes a 5W20 oil is thinner thus easier to sling around in the motor and will increase gas mileage, but as stated before the difference is a minimal amount that the average driver wouldn't be able to measure effectively. It may only be .2 as stated above, but when you multiply that .2 by all the different Ford vehicle lines they made this change to it adds up and made a significant impact in the overall C.A.F.E. rating.

So does it save gas? Yes.
Will you see a difference? Probably not.

U.M.

My Mustang prefers Corona with a lime!

Thanks for all of the tips!

So, for a final closure on this, would you say that I should/could run the 5w30 I run in my Mustang in my Escape with no issues, and no change in gas mileage? The Escape gets terrible mileage at highway speed and I would hate to do anything that makes it get even worse!

2000GTNY said:
My Mustang prefers Corona with a lime!

Thanks for all of the tips!

So, for a final closure on this, would you say that I should/could run the 5w30 I run in my Mustang in my Escape with no issues, and no change in gas mileage? The Escape gets terrible mileage at highway speed and I would hate to do anything that makes it get even worse!
Yup.

U.M.

I've used both grades and haven't observed and noticeable change in mileage. I'd go 5w20 if Walmart had it in the 5qtr jug (Mobil 1), but I usually run 5w30 instead. 5w20 is usually pretty hard to find too - even the Ford synthetic blend.