66 explorer 8.8 swap shocks question

I am about to do a narrowed Explorer 8.8 swap in a 66. I have read and not found exactly what to do with shocks. Some people seem to drill the original plates for the 3.25 diameter axles and use original shocks. Some use the Explorer plates but I have never heard what shocks to use. With some research a shock from a 2004 Chevrolet Tracker has the same top as a Mustang and same bottom as an Explorer. It is about 5/8-3/4" longer depending on brand. Searching both Monroe and KYB charts I came up with the same one. But I read about strange angles with the Explorer plates. I guess I just have to put it all together to understand but I would like to put it together once. Any tips on lower plates and/or shocks when doing this swap?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I haven't put shocks on it yet but I welded a plate across the top of the U part of the Explorer plate that the factory shock bolts too and drilled a hole in it to accept the mustang shock. If it works right, I will dress it up some so it looks more like a part that was made that way.

For posterity. Tubes with plates won't work due to radically different angles. Ended up cutting the Explorer bottom plates and welding a tab on so I could use original style shocks. Original Mustang 9" bottom plates may be possible to re-drill for the bigger U-bolts, but the ones I had (Granada) didn't have enough meat on them.

Reactions: 1 user
Im probably wayyy too late but i had the same issues when I did my mustang rear suspension, I had an 8.8 rear end and couldn't find the correct shock plates so after much searching I went with a Currie plate CE-7007A. The shocks and the leaf springs all lined up nicely.