66 Mustang backup light problem

vtdichard

Mar 9, 2004
My backup lights don't work, the bulbs are new. I know there is a backup light switch and I think it is on the transmission but not sure, does anyone no where it is located. Also do these typically go bad or should I be looking at the wiring first?

Attachments

• mustang2.jpg
    mustang2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 386
  • Sponsors (?)

vtdichard said:
My backup lights don't work, the bulbs are new. I know there is a backup light switch and I think it is on the transmission but not sure, does anyone no where it is located. Also do these typically go bad or should I be looking at the wiring first?

It's on the trans, drivers side with 4 wires running to it.
check the fuses first and make sure there is power with key on.
they usally are the first to go out.

PB

I have had the same problem with my '65. I couldn't find any switch on the trans. Then I looked online and got some information from here actually, and have not been able to look again though.
I had two wires coming down that are supposed to be connected to the switch, I just connected them to a switch I got at Radio Shack and put it inside my car to pass inspection, hey it worked.

my 66 has two wires coming through the hump right near the shifter. i thought that these were for the reverse lights. if that is what they are the sensor you are looking for may be on the top of the tranny and hard to see if you are under the car. if Im wrong about these two wires someone let me know what they really are.

89lx2.3 said:
my 66 has two wires coming through the hump right near the shifter. i thought that these were for the reverse lights. if that is what they are the sensor you are looking for may be on the top of the tranny and hard to see if you are under the car. if Im wrong about these two wires someone let me know what they really are.

I presume it is auto trans. The two wires to the shifter may be to light the shift indicator. The auto should have the b/u and neutral sw on the shift control shaft going thru the side of the case that your shift linkage hooks to. This should lead to two 2 wire connectors near the back of the drivers side valve cover. One should have red insulation and the other should be blue. One is for back up, the other is neutral safety. As mentioned before, check for power, then check for proper adjustment. The switch screws will loosen, at which point the switch can be rotated to get neutral and backup functions to work. Hope this helps.

P.S. Switch may go bad electrically. try wiring around switch by hooking jumper wire to the leads in the connector that is not going to the tranny. With key on the desired circuit should now function.

hello guys is there anything i can do my 65 doesm't have back up lights can i add them and if so were do i add the switch i look on trany don't see a switch anywere man its a killer backing up an night