66 mustang, freshly installed C4 wont start!

louis53123

Dec 13, 2009
New Jersey
Whats going on guys, I need your help once again. I have a 1966 mustang with a 302 and a c4 transmission. The car originally came with a stock 5.0 and a T5 transmission. I recently bought a built 347 and a C4 transmission to swap in.

I am done with the swap but I am not getting any juice to crank.

My MSD ignition has power, blaster coil has power, starter is properly grounded, everything looks as it should.

When I turn the key all I hear is the "Starter Relay" cranking/making voltage noise. It does not sound right.

The C4 transmission is not fully assembled, I didn't put the drive shaft on, I did not hook the shifter box and cables on. I want the engine to turn over before I move forward and complete more work.

This is what I feel can be a problem. When I had the T5 transmission, I do not recall having a neutral safety switch, or anything of that matter. I would turn the key and it would start right up. Since I installed a C4, do I need a the neutral safety switch? Will the safety starter inhibit the car from cranking?

I am stuck and dont know what the heck can be the problem!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If your neutral safety has been bypassed then you can start the car in any gear instead of only park and neutral. As long as the trans is in Park and it has some fluid in it, you should be ok to start it. If the neutral safety switch was going to stop the car from cranking you wouldn't hear the "thunk" sound of the starter motor relay going to work.

From what I get from your post, you are hearing the starter motor relay make a "thunk" sound when you turn the ignition to the start position but the starter itself is not doing anything. First off, what type of starter is it ? Is it a late model mini starter type with 2 wires, earlier style single wire starter or some after market unit ?

Take a multimeter and check the voltage of the battery to make sure you are getting enough juice from the battery to crank the motor.

Did the new motor come with the flexplate ? What flexplate are you using ?

I once put my C4 transmission back in my car and it sounded the same as you are describing. Basically just a click when I turned the key. Well, I have a late model mini starter with 2 wires and didn't notice that the small wire had pulled off during installation. Slipped wire back on and started right up.

I also had this happen after a trans install: Once I cranked the car went to put it in reverse and the car didn't move. After a little panicking I checked the trans fluid and had to add a quart, then another. After that it worked like a charm.

When I turn the key all I hear is the "Starter Relay" cranking/making voltage noise.

what is voltage noise?

If it is clicking, then it is not an issue with the neutral safety switch. (as Rusty stated)

Check your main cable to the starter and the engine ground. Before replacing your solenoid, bypass the main terminals with a jumper cable to see if it cranks over.

SolenoidTest.jpg

what is voltage noise?

If it is clicking, then it is not an issue with the neutral safety switch. (as Rusty stated)

Check your main cable to the starter and the engine ground. Before replacing your solenoid, bypass the main terminals with a jumper cable to see if it cranks over.

SolenoidTest.jpg

What I mane by a voltage noise is the starter relay is making a clicking noise, it sounds weird.

So the fact that the starter is clicking, I guess I will eliminate the Neutral Safety Switch.

This is the other problem. When I had the T5 in my car, all I had running to the starter was a ground. With the C4 there are no other wires coming off the starter. I hooked the ground up and thats all. I dont see where I can hook a wire up, etc.

I will try to bypass the main terminals and see if it cranks over.