67 390 FE Alternator Issue

jackson0215

Dec 10, 2009
I am in the final stages of finishing up the motor in my 67 and the alternator has brought everything to a stop. I ordered a new bracket kit from CVF racing and when installed it pushes the alternator out past the motor and it hits the battery tray. The adjustment rod won't connect because the alternator hits the tray. I bought a Tuff Stuff 140 amp alternator. If I push it up into the correct position it is wedged between the bracket and head. I called CVF and they said that is a common issue with the FE motor so I need to relocate my battery........What are you all doing to install a higher amperage alternator on a FE motor? Right now I have 4 1/2" from the back of the bracket to the head. I cannot find anything higher then 55 amps that is less than 4 3/4" deep.

Attachments

• alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 271
  • alt1.jpg
    alt1.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 437
  • alt2.jpg
    alt2.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 201
  • alt3.jpg
    alt3.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Sponsors (?)

If you want to keep the battery in the same location, you could go with a gear reduction starter that needs a little less cranking amps, and a smaller high quality battery that will fit a smaller fabricated tray. Possibly turn the new battery 90 degrees if it will clear the radiator/fan.

My hope was to not end to turn the battery tray. Long and short of it CVF ( https://www.cvfracing.com ) has an alternator that is a GM style CS 130 that is only 4.3" deep from the ear to the back. They also have a conversion kit for the difference in threads. I had to order the alternator fan and pulley but it was still less then the Tuff Stuff alternator I originally bought.

CVF was very helpful.....