67 coupe engine swap 351w

67couper

Apr 8, 2012
Hey everyone I was hoping I could find some helpp on this forum. This is my first post. So I'm trying to figure out what I can use off my 289 on a 351w... If anything. I'm trying to save as much $$ as I can. Anyone know if I can use the pulleys on my 289? Anyone down this swap before? Any kind of tips or info that would help me cut some costs or just be informative, please I reply. Any and all thoughts are wanted! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It's a pretty straight forward swap. Where are you getting the 351W from? If you are pulling it out of another car, you will want to hang onto that other car until you are done! Otherwise, you are going to have to pay attention to water pump inlet/outlet, where the timing pointer is, that kind of thing...More than just the pulley's involved.
Also, what performance mods are you looking at for the new engine? While the engine is out, is the time for some upgrades, like a new timing gear set, maybe cam and lifters, etc.

The harmonic balancer, pulleys, waterpump, and timing chain cover can all be used on the 351w and they should be swapped all together to prevent timing pointer issues (unless you have a 69' 351w.) The289 timing chain cover swap might require swapping the timing chain assembly to the 289 type, depending on the year of the 351w and if it already has a fuel pump cam attached. The motor mounts, flywheel/flexplate, bellhousing, and transmissions are also interchangeable as are the 67' valve covers. You will need to get a different set of alternator brackets or build your own. A set for a 69' 351w would be perfect, but in the later years there are often problems. For the record, I use all the 289 parts mentioned above at one time or another on my 89' 351w block.