67 mustang- 200-289 - 302- 351c?

jewellkb92

Dec 3, 2006
my daughter is 14 1/2 mother in law bought her a nice 67 mustang with no motor and trans.
body is tight and looking good needs paint and the inside redone.
vin# says 200 6cyl. no power steering no power brakes, yet
what do ya'll here at stangnet think is the best way to go to keep value or to increase value of this car?
find a 200 6 cyl to match vin#- grandma's car,
or a 289 with some hp that really sounds good.
302-5.0 roller motor with hp.
last but not least,
a 351c cleveland 4 barrel with 2v heads that i have sitting here ready to go?
next c4 or fmx? sold my toploader! stupid me!
this is not a high dollar project! limited funds.
if you have myspace here is her site.
http://myspace.com/kindabrooke
thank you all

• Sponsors (?)

If it's for a teenager, go with the 6-cyl for safety reasons. Gets better mileage too :D

You can swap in V8 power when she has some years of safe driving under her belt.

for a teenager i also would build a six/auto car. i might build a 250 instead of a 200 though, so that when she wants a V8, and is ready for one the swap will be much easier as you wont need to change the bellhousing on the trans.

thanks for the input folks!
i can get a 6 cyl to put in it. would be cheaper on gas an ins.
ok say shes a experinced driver when she's 18 or so.
what motor then to make the car worth more.
looking long term 20 years down the road.
thanks

likely the original 200 will be the most valuable down the road, but if you are looking at the car as an investment, dont. you will lose money everytime. as for what motor to install when she is ready for more, go with a nice mildly built 302. it will still get decent mileage and should keep her out of trouble.

Sky's the limit when you want to swap in a non-original motor. You can't go wrong with the 302. You can build it mild or build it mean. You can also opt to go with fuel injection pretty easily as well.

In terms of value, I think it depends more on how well it's done rather than the actual engine size. Check out Reen Machine's '67 convertible - it was a 6 cyl car converted to a 4.6 and is worth well over 100K.

A nicely done 302 or 351 can give you the same result - but overall value depends on the overall condition of the car itself and whatever motor is swapped in. Detailed and well-executed craftsmanship increases value.

It all comes down to the quality of the work in my mind.

likely the original 200 will be the most valuable down the road, but if you are looking at the car as an investment, dont. you will lose money everytime. as for what motor to install when she is ready for more, go with a nice mildly built 302. it will still get decent mileage and should keep her out of trouble.

This is a good point - keep all original parts if you do a swap!

going with a 289 engine found someone here in tennessee to trade
my cleveland for one

kendrasmustang2.jpg [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• kendrasmustang.jpg
    kendrasmustang.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 128