68 302 block to a roller block

spierce

Jul 27, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I've read just about every thread about converting a non-roller block to a roller block and none of them specifically say if you can take a non roller block with stock hydrolic roller hardware.

So my question is can I take a 1990 302 block and a 1968 block and just tap the holes where the lifter spider bolts to the block at and transfer my stock cam, stock lifters, stock lifter holders (dog bones), lifter spider, stock pushrods, stock heads, and stock rockers over to the 1968 block?

Second, how much stronger is a 68 block than a newer 90's casting?

• Sponsors (?)

yes, save for the pushrods. they are combo specific, and NOBODY on earth can tell you if they are the right length or not, needs to be mocked up.

also, strength, marginally better. nothing to write home about. if your taking it all apart, balance it, and get a good new balancer. this will do quite a bit for block longevity...make a 28oz, and change the flexplate/flywheel at the same time. imho of course.

IN short, 'No' is the answer. The lifter bores are deeper on the roller motors to accomodate the taller roller lifter. If you put the roller lifter in an early block the lifter comes up and hits the H bar that connects the lifters to keep the rollers aligned with the cam. The H bars will fail or get knocked off the lifter in spite of the spider trying to hold them down. Checked it out on my '69 351w and it's a no go.

Jamie

Ranchero5.0 said:
IN short, 'No' is the answer. The lifter bores are deeper on the roller motors to accomodate the taller roller lifter. If you put the roller lifter in an early block the lifter comes up and hits the H bar that connects the lifters to keep the rollers aligned with the cam. The H bars will fail or get knocked off the lifter in spite of the spider trying to hold them down. Checked it out on my '69 351w and it's a no go.

Jamie

sure you can, you need to get an aftermarket small base circle roller cam. then drill and tap the holes and then you can use the stock lifters and hardware. the pushrods may not work since the 68 block is shorter i believe than the newer ones. you would also need a steel distributor gear. this is not work the money though. now much more of a increase. flat tappet cams are just fine.