69 dim dashboard gauge lights

Lil Wet Cowboy

Oct 25, 2019
Denver
When I crank up the dashboard gauge lights on the headlight switch they go from dim to just a bit brighter and never really seem to power up. It can't be the bulbs since they all go up and down together. Could it be the reostat in the headlight switch and might replacing that original switch fix the problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Easy way to find out is pull out the voltmeter and get an actual voltage reading from the wire powering the bulbs, if it doesn't reach close to 12v at max brightness, its likely the rheostat(though it could also be something like a poor ground)...also compare it to what your battery voltage is while running so you have a reference point. It can actually still be the bulbs as well since if they are all the same age, they can slowly age together. A lot of people will upgrade to LED bulbs as well, they too require a rheostat or potentiometer to dim correctly(can't remember which at the moment)

Thanx Wicked - I really hope it is the reostat in the light switch since it is the easiest thing to get to to replace. I HATE dashboard work and replacing the bulbs is a big pain. Yeah, I'll get out the voltmeter and see how much I am getting from the switch.